Bigger tires on stock rims ..gerald? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bigger tires on stock rims ..gerald?

I have stock rims that are either 7 or 8 inch wide... i cannot remember.

I am getting 285 75 r16 tires, but the guy at tire discount says that is not recommended on stock rims - yet i see this all the time.
he said that it will make them wear unevenly...

does anyone have experience with this???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it will be fine

Don't believe them.. I'm running a 33x12.5x15 on a stock rim for the moment. Its not recommended to run a 12.5 wide tire on a 7" wide rim but I'm doing it for the moment.

PS.

Mr. Hootus, I think you have experience with this... ps. i saw your car the other day.

so it will be ok? are there any other options

do they make anything slightly narrower than a 285 75 r16?

if it will be ok, and my tread will last i want to do it... but will it?

yeah they do 265/75R16

There are about 5 million trucks in my town running 285/75's on various stock 16x7 wheels. Everyone that buys any kind of new 3/4 ton goes straight to the tire shop and has 285's put on it. It will be fine. They arent as wide as a 33x12.50. They will not wear funny.

Ok, so it should be ok... do you think I will get less tread life?

This guy at the shop is trying to push me toward regular Dueler a/ts instead of REVOS ... they are a lot cheaper..

also, what would you guys say the best bang for the buck in all terrian tire is? how about theses geolanders?

BoatsRcool said:
Ok, so it should be ok... do you think I will get less tread life?

This guy at the shop is trying to push me toward regular Dueler a/ts instead of REVOS ... they are a lot cheaper..

I've got just under 40,000 miles on my 32" regular Dueler A/Ts, still 50% of the tread left. Best A/T I have run and that includes some light to moderate offroading with them. I wish they didn't wear and perform so well, I want to buy a new set of 33s but don't have a valid reason.

Another Option

:exporange Another option would be to go with BFG AT's 275x75x16's. I don't know of any one who has run them. I am not sure who else makes this size tire other then BFG, any one else have experience?

well thanks,

I ended up getting the regular Bridgestone Dueler AT's instead of the revos, they look just as cool - and they cost $200 less and they have the same 50k warranty.

Anyways, the 285 75 r16 fit just fine, and theres no way they look as wide as 33x12.50

Going from 265 70 r16 to 285 75 r16 what speedometer change should I look out for? I know it had to change some...

no one knows how much my speedometer is off?

look for a site with a speedo calculator, i know someone on here has a link in their sig.
might try searching for a gear calculator, it would likely be on the same page.
you put in your OE tire size, your new tire size, an example mph and you will get your actual mph.
i'd find the link for ya, but im too tired. :p

3 - 7 mph... depending on the speed you are going. Thats what mine was going from 235/15s to 33/15s. Started being off around 35 mph and got worse the faster I went. By the time the Explorer said I was going 60 my wife's Focus read 67...
Dead Link Removed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just saw this thread. I wore out a set of 285/75r16's on my stock rims, and by the time you met me, I had gone up another size to 295/75r16 and ran those until the tires were bald. Those 295/75r16s were what I used during my "Herc Tour" and several other major runs and I never had a problem on my stock rims. You'll do fine. I didn't have to change rims until I went to my current 35" x 12.5" tires.

The speedo and tire size calculators are at 4lo.com Go there and use those calculators to figure how far out your speedo is.

Hope that helps.

Back