Adding a power antenna | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding a power antenna

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Has anyone added a power antenna to an Explorer w/o one?

Thanks ........

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Subscribed. I like what he's thinking.

I have thought about 'frenching in' a power antenna somewhere on the X, and shaving the stock location.....OR simplifying the whole thing, and installing a modified 2nd gen pwr antenna, in the fender of my 1st Gen......

Who knows what I'll do.

Ryan

lol

I just realized who the author of this thread is.......

Now what's up your sleeve? thinking maybe you can get a .1 mpg more with no antenna mast sticking up there? j/k

Ryan

I used to have one before the thing snapped off, why do you want one Al?

Al, you don't have a power antenna on your 99? It looks like you also don't have fender flares. I have a 98 Eddie Bauer fender that I plan to use for my 93/99. If you had a fender with the molding holes, I'd swap with you. Good luck,

I put one on mine but it was pretty uneventful so i dont thing you have anything to worry about. I need to replace mine now because i bought one that i thought would be ok but the mast gets grease on it and at times it wont fully retract. Extended you see the grease too. I pretty much just removed my old fixed antenna with the wire and just reinstalled the new antenna and its cable. Ive also thought about just tring to get a factory one from a wrecked explorer then it should bolt up even easier. The old plastic cover thats came with the fixed antenna would fit over the top locking nut on the new power antenns with a tiny bit of trimming on the inside of it so it really finishes nice. Ive always wanted a flush one ive seen in some hot rod type applications so if i ever repaint the car i may go that route next time. I guess thats what you were asking. Major

major said:
I put one on mine but it was pretty uneventful so i dont thing you have anything to worry about. I need to replace mine now because i bought one that i thought would be ok but the mast gets grease on it and at times it wont fully retract. Extended you see the grease too. I pretty much just removed my old fixed antenna with the wire and just reinstalled the new antenna and its cable. Ive also thought about just tring to get a factory one from a wrecked explorer then it should bolt up even easier. The old plastic cover thats came with the fixed antenna would fit over the top locking nut on the new power antenns with a tiny bit of trimming on the inside of it so it really finishes nice. Ive always wanted a flush one ive seen in some hot rod type applications so if i ever repaint the car i may go that route next time. I guess thats what you were asking. Major

Thanks for the reply.

What kind of antenna did you use?

Its been a while but i thinik it was one of the Better ones at walmart. I know i went cheap and now im paying for it. I would suggest either taking one from a wrecked newer explorer or a good aftermarket one. On the switch I just wired it in. It came with one that says up dn so i just mounted it. That way if I needed it down for some reason but wanted the radio on i could still do it. Major

Back