My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips | Page 47 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

aldive said:
No, but I have been contacted by them.
You have actually been contacted by them? How did they find the thread?

What did they have to say?

Maybe they want to give him a job as a technical advisor. They might start making fuel efficient vehicles that are more efficient than the imports. He would have access to more technical data, parts, and even their teleimmersion systems. It would be worth working there for a short time just to run some tests on one of those! That beats any dyno testing, or CAD simulation software.

How many miles are you on now Aldive? It would be interesting to see how these engines hold up over age. I'm pushing over 180K now and I'm still seeing 20 MPG driving around the city. Certainly nowhere near yours, but I haven't taken a real highway trip in a long while. Those would normally net 25-26. There is a lot of potential in the Cologne 4.0 SOHC.

I am currently at about 119k. Still runs/performs like new.

AL, Bosch & Motorcraft plugs

aldive said:
Ignore smartass remarks by detractors.

Yes, you can improve your mileage. Those numbers aree indeed low. I recently drove a friends Explorer, a V8 bone stock, and got 23 MPG on the highway; the best he ever got was 18.

I suspect that driving style is a big factor. Do not, I repeat, do not use the +4 plugs, stick with Motorcraft double platinum plugs.

Good luck ....

AL,

If the answer to this is on one of these 47 pages, tell me which one and I'll read it. Otherwise:
What is wrong with the +4 plugs. I just put Bosch +2 double platinums in my '02 XLT. Should I be looking, listening, or smelling for something? I'm on the 25-26 MPG quest for my 4X4.
What have you found to be the difference between the Bosch and Motorcraft plugs? :confused:

Dave

Wow, I'm impressed. I'm still happy with my latest gas mileage calculation, going across Ohio with a completely loaded Explorer (all of my stuff from school stacked to within 6" of the roof, rear seats folded down, front passenger full, too, tail end almost dragging), I got 25 mpg highway. My only alterations are a K&N drop-in filter, brand-new plugs/wires, and a Gibson 2.5" exhaust, brown-wire mod and a can of sea-foam. I travelled 65 the whole way, and have 124k on the poor thing. I'm thinking about getting a cold-air intake for it, too. Since up until the exhaust and new plugs/wires I was getting 18. (I hadn't looked at my plugs after I bought it, they were gapped wrong (.036) )

For those who may be curious, I have an OHV w/ 5-speed auto and 3.73 axle.

double-platinum plugs (drew a mental blank on the brand).

^^^ Autolite plugs?

From a year ago! Yeah I read that far back!

davidmmm69 said:
the way it is now i fill back up when ever i come close to half a tank unless prces are on the way down?

the things that you say to do to help gas mileage i think that is going a little bit too far in what you are trying to do for just an extra mile per gallon..

the gas doensl;t bother me as far as not wanting to drive. because if that was the case i wouldn;t own 2 explorers that are driven daily.
my 1995 i get maybe 11 per gallon..
my 2002 i get about 16 on a good week...

David how do you get such low Mpg? I bought my 2002 4.0 XLT 4x4 with 43,500 miles on it. As soon as I got it I flushed the coolant and transmission fluids and replaced the original air filter and changed the oil and put in Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil. The tires had never been rotated and with the signs I wasn't going to waste my money in doing so with them either. Tire pressure was kept at 32psi. But from the beginning I always averaged 17.9 Mpg in both city and highway driving never really anything much below that.

I changed the oil and air filter about every 5,000 miles. With my last oil and air filter change I went out and bought new Michelin tires, I just replaced the same size and style that had come with the truck originally. Tired pressure at 35 psi. But after my first tank fill of gas and traveling mostly highway down to Bradley airport I got 21.5 Mpg! Then after the last two fill ups with both city and highway driving I averaged both times at 19.6 Mpg.

I usually don't drive my truck over 2000 RPM's on the highway unless going up hill and trying to maintain speed and then it only gets up to 3000 RPM. But I usually drive anywhere between 65-70 MPH and have been very consistent with my gas mileage since owning it. But with getting the much improved Mpg it has lead me to search for new ways to try and get more out of my truck. I never knew one could gain so much with new tires? It's not like they where all that bad either. I did see that my truck was rated at 15 city and 20 highway for that year.

My search brought me here and so far I love the site nice work Al it's very nice reading all your post's. What ever happened to this 15-35% mileage increase thread? It just seemed to die because everyone who was testing this out just seemed to stop posting in it back in 4-25-05. I went to reply to it but there is no reply button, but yet it's not locked. Is anyone still using the acetone in there gas?

I'm starting to test acetone now after following the newer thread that covers acetone results here . My test is 8Ml to 10 L of gas (1 Oz/10 Gal)

Along with some other goodies, I am still evaluating acetone in my gas.

vervepipes said:
I'm starting to test acetone now after following the newer thread that covers acetone results here . My test is 8Ml to 10 L of gas (1 Oz/10 Gal)

Awesome another thread I'll have o read through. Thank you. :)

Al I'm looking forward to what you come up with next.

Off on a 1500-2000 mile road trip in a few days.

I will be testing (1) acetone and (2) a new experimental computer tune.

Data soon ......

techieman33 said:
what happened to the 55mph trip?

I have not had time to do it. I still plan on a 55 MPH trip South to Naples, FL and back ( 200 miles ).

Al, this is more about you're quest to keep liquids cooler than mileage. have you ever seen the diff coveres that have a built in heat sink (spelling?) like whats on computer componants or even like your "cool collars"? I've seen a jeep here with one and in my Honda days some of the track racers had heat sink oil pans to keep the oil cooler. Anything like that available? even taking a flat or maleable section of the heat sink and bonding it to the bottom of the oil pan to disperse heat.... no wait, forget I said that, I should pattent that first if it doesnt exist!

vervepipes said:
Al, this is more about you're quest to keep liquids cooler than mileage. have you ever seen the diff coveres that have a built in heat sink (spelling?) like whats on computer componants or even like your "cool collars"? I've seen a jeep here with one and in my Honda days some of the track racers had heat sink oil pans to keep the oil cooler. Anything like that available? even taking a flat or maleable section of the heat sink and bonding it to the bottom of the oil pan to disperse heat.... no wait, forget I said that, I should pattent that first if it doesnt exist!

aftermarket oil pans that have a larger capacity. Many make them, and do exactly what you're talkin about ;)
and there are a lot of diff covers out there with fins to act as a "heatsink" and help dissipate heat quicker :D

aldive said:
Off on a 1500-2000 mile road trip in a few days.

I will be testing (1) acetone and (2) a new experimental computer tune.

Data soon ......

Back with data .....

Alas, no acetone testing was done; I spilled all of it prior to the trip. Trip shortened to 1200 miles.

First leg - 547 miles, avg speed 62.4 MPH. 37.6 MPG. All I75.

Next leg ... mixed in town ( Atlanta ) and highway driving, 26.8 MPG.

Need to fill up tomorrow for last data.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Argh i want that milage (crying). As for acetone ive read on off road magazine that its 4oz to 10 gals.

Back