To answer all questions about 3rd generation lifts....... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

To answer all questions about 3rd generation lifts.......

minimagpro

Reaction score
City, State
Jackson, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
04' XLT 4x4
There are NO I repeat NO lifts available for the 2002+ explorers unless you find someway to build your own.

You can get a body lift however you will have to customly fit one from another generation explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I called Rancho last week and asked them of the status of their lift kits for the 3rd Gen Explorers, and they said they don't comment on future products, and will issue a press release if and when the products are ever released. In other words, I got nothing out of them.

Does anyone have any good contacts with Rancho where we could find out additional information on their future lift kits if it ever materializes?

minimagpro said:
You can get a body lift however you will have to customly fit one from another generation explorer

A ranger body lift will work - there are no body lifts made for any gen Explorer except the 1st gens.

-Drew

I cant see how the 3rd gen explorers would be able to get lifts.. since the axles run through the fram.. unlesssss... someone were to lower the differential and axles so they are no longer in with the frame, but that would probably be alot of work!

There is always the option of swapping in solid front and rear axles. :D That would be sweet, but pretty expensive.

solid front and rear would be a waste, meaning you mine as well just put the Gen III body on a superduty frame.
a custom a arm front and rear suspension would be the way to go, in the back frame modifications would be required :)

There are Gen III's running around that are lifted, custom, for off road.
You can squeeze a few inches out of the stock style setup.
Hacking off the frame is nothing new in the off road world anyways, a fully independant suspension has alot of advantages in the off road world, just not typically for rocks....

Nice

Attachments

• xz.jpg
    xz.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 21,477

How is that lifted? Body lift? It doesn't look as good as I thought it would; maybe because it's an XLS. Maybe if I had an 3rd Gen to build, it'd look good.

-Drew

looks like a BL to me, but hard to tell

Yep, defintely a body lift.

What is this? About the 3rd-4th thread on the exact same subject in the past month? :rolleyes: :)

ad a leaf?

I talked to pro comp and they make a long leaf for about 108 bucks. I was also told I would have to get 4 door leafs because the 2dr sport comes with mono leafs. Anyone know how much this will lift it and is it worth it? Is a spring over axle too much lift and will it even work on the 2002 explorer sport 2dr 4X4?

stutz, welcome to the site... this thread isnt anywhere close to what you are asking... for the sake of the site and actually getting help, please psot stuff at least in the correct forum... might i direct you to the search function... there is a whole suspension forum on here, and the sport with monoleafs is covered all over the palce... yess you will need 4 door leaves (will probably give about an inch to an inch and a half of lift alone and the aal will net probably anotehr inch or so.....) and it will work on an 02 sport

A friend of a friends (hehe) built a sus lift kit for the IRS Expedition. Its INSANE. It had like 35's on it.. and the entire bottom was absolutly awsome... looked like a tranformer or something. Had lots and lots of chrome.

I had the pics but I lost them one time on a hard drive format. Ill get them again so everyone can see. This was about 9 months ago... maybe he has something out for the explorer by now, as I recall he was working on it. Ill check.

:exporange

ExplorerDMB said:
A ranger body lift will work - there are no body lifts made for any gen Explorer except the 1st gens.

-Drew
Any comments one which year ranger body lift will work with a 2002 XLT 4X4? Very intrested.
:exporange

Hey there. Im new to the site. I've seen what looks like spring bushings/spacers that are installed at the top. Does anyone know if these can be used to get 2+" of lift on the 3rd gen 2003 explorer XLT?

Hey there. Im new to the site. I've seen what looks like spring bushings/spacers that are installed at the top. Does anyone know if these can be used to get 2+" of lift on the 3rd gen 2003 explorer XLT?

if u made a custom ring spacer, like an aluminum ring or a polyurithane ring, you could possibly get some height out of it... the fact of the matter is the frame in the back with the driveshafts thru it and that no one makes a larger aftermarket spring... u can buy custom springs at coilsprings.com which is what i did to level it out with 2 extra inches in the front, but it limits wheel travel somewhat, although i cant tell the difference... do not use a rubber spacer because ive tried that countless times... they dryrot inabout a week and do nothing for ur height because theyre squashed

yes a ranger body lift will work but there will be ALOT of frame showing, theres already alot but there will be even more

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

coil overs are a bad idea, if anyone has an 05 f150 they use struts as well measure the idstance between the strut mounting bolts. if its the same as the explorer use on of the spacers, that sits ontop of the strut and basically moves everything down an inch or more.

chassis tech has a bad rep but I doubt they could screw that up.

Back