AutoMatic Climate Control for an XLT? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AutoMatic Climate Control for an XLT?

ito-23

Reaction score
City, State
Sanit Clair, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
I have an '02 XLT with the manual climate control. I found an Automatic Climate Control from a "Limited". I know I would need a new trim panel, but, is it possible for me to use this thing? Do the plugs from the manual climate control work with the Automatic CC?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an '02 XLT with the manual climate control. I found an Automatic Climate Control from a "Limited". I know I would need a new trim panel, but, is it possible for me to use this thing? Do the plugs from the manual climate control work with the Automatic CC?

I would think it would take more than just a simple swap. I know for one thing most of the EATC systems have a sun load sensor on the dash or rear view that will switch to max a/c when needed. There's likely to be alot of changes needed, but it's possible, just might be alot of work.

It seems that you would have to have some sort of temperture sensor to interact as a thermostat with the controls in order for anything "automatic" to happen.

Not at all.

I hate to dig this thread up from the grave, but are there any write-ups on the conversion? I'm sure it's more than possible, however I'd really like to know how to do it so I can convert my manual controls to the EATC unit.

Haha, october of last year is not the grave.... Don't worry, I've been digging up some all week from years ago....

the roomate is thinking about doing this to his 2nd gen expo probably soon so this might be helpful. the easiest thing is, if its set up similar to how the 2nd gens do it that is, is to go to a junk yard rip out the dash wiring harness, and maybe the climate box, not sure or not, from a donor and do it all at once. if not your may have to splice and get into a big mess, i can't really tell you for sure because i haven't compared or looked at any wiring diagrams for the 3rd gens.

couldn't be too hard, just time consuming, but could be done never the less.

I will be tackling this project very soon. For a Gen2 you need the various sensors, Dash wiring, engine perimeter wiring, and of course the control box. This will also include the info center and the steering wheel controls for the climate and radio.

Not sure what will be involved for the gen3's.

here is a write up on installing the EATC in a Ranger.......i would assume that converting an Explorer would be the same....

visit pages 14-19 for a complete How-To on the swap:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/14

i can't take credit for the modification, but i can say that I am one of the few on most Ranger boards that has done the mod....

it is fairly simple IF you have everything you need parts wise, have basic wiring knowledge, and have read the write up a couple times....i would advise printing it out and reading/highlighting portions........

there is one addition to it however, if you have a pre '98 truck and are adding a '98+ EATC system to your truck, you will need an extra relay for the A/C demand circuit......you will have to because the EATC control head puts out a low demand to the PCM to kick the A/C clutch in......the '97 and older trucks sends the proper voltage directly to the A/C clutch........you will have to use the low voltage input from the EATC control head to trigger a relay to send the proper voltage to the A/C clutch....

here is a write up on installing the EATC in a Ranger.......i would assume that converting an Explorer would be the same.....
John's Ranger/EATC how-to would probably be adaptable for the most part to a 95~2001 Explorer EATC conversion.

However, the 2002+ Explorer is a different animal with 2-zone Dual EATC - different head unit, different color codes, different connectors, more wires, tie-ins to the climate controlled seats, etc., etc. His how-to wouldn't work for the Gen 3 Explorer DEATC.

However, the 2002+ Explorer is a different animal with 2-zone Dual EATC - different head unit, different color codes, different connectors, more wires, tie-ins to the climate controlled seats, etc., etc. His how-to wouldn't work for the Gen 3 Explorer DEATC.
you are correct and the man again:salute:! i forgot that the Explorers changed in '02.....

Back