• Register Today It's free!

cold air intakes

dylan_133

Reaction score
City, State
Grants Pass, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 explorer EB
Does anyone here have a cold air intake in there x? If so how much of a power difference does it make? And is it worth the money?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you pretty much have to make your own the adapter is around MAF adapter is around $12 and you can put whatever filter you want. Try doing a search there are lots of posts on them

go on ebay I got mine with shiping included $5.

Also I don’t know how much difference a cold air intake does but I know a cone filter helps out allot and makes it louder.

Get the kit from KKM and you will be happy!

just for the record i have trouble believing that you get power from that kkm adapter/cone filter. I've ran cone filters on 3 explorers i've owned and havent seen much difference. Think about the amount of heat ur pullin in from under the hood kinda close to the exhaust manifold?

just for the record i have trouble believing that you get power from that kkm adapter/cone filter. I've ran cone filters on 3 explorers i've owned and havent seen much difference. Think about the amount of heat ur pullin in from under the hood kinda close to the exhaust manifold?

Power is relative... You will see a few extra ponies (which would be hard to feel) because of the less restrictive open air filter. Studies have indicated once your vehicle reaches 25mph+ the under hood temp equals ambient temp. As such cold air intakes are not worth a lot in a 160hp engine.

so as far as getting more power with out spending the thousands required for a supercharger what could i do?

so as for as getting more power out of my engine without spendng the thousands needed for a super charger what could i do?

You can get a few ponies more, but the reality is that you have what you have. The 1st gen is limited on power and build up options. Some things you can do: intake, exhaust, plugs, wires. If you just got the truck check out the tranny real good, if your lucky it was taken care of, if not it will be your next project.

Why hasn't anyone relocated the battery and ran the intake from right behind the headlight. Also, if you use a billet grill that is more open than the stock grill won't that be pulling cold air from the front of the vechile? Put the filter at an angle to prevent water from traveling up it and maybe a mesh screen to stop rocks and debris. Or is there something I'm missing?

Why hasn't anyone relocated the battery and ran the intake from right behind the headlight. Also, if you use a billet grill that is more open than the stock grill won't that be pulling cold air from the front of the vechile? Put the filter at an angle to prevent water from traveling up it and maybe a mesh screen to stop rocks and debris. Or is there something I'm missing?

The real question is why would someone want to do this and what would be the benefit? On Drag race cars they do this because when STOPPED the under hood temperatures soar 180F+ which results in a lower air fuel density. A cold air system would lower IAT and create a higher air fuel density. But as noted in Aldive's Vehicle speeds affect on intake ambient temperature thread as soon as the vehicle has reached 20mph the air flow is sufficient to dropped under hood temperatures to within a few degrees of ambient (which is Negligible in terms of a measured performance gain). So unless you're building a vehicle for the drag strip where 100s of a second matter then a cold air intake will not yield any benefit.

Speed-Ambient-IAT
20....... 82F..... 85F
30....... 82F..... 85F
40....... 82F..... 83F
50....... 83F..... 84F
60....... 83F..... 84F
70....... 84F..... 86F

So all this about "warm air intake" is bogus. Just run an high flow filter and be done with it... Why spend $100 or more on a conical filter and intake tubing when you can spend $40 on a K&N at Advanced. I do think that the billet grills for the 1st gen would help with the Ambient Temp.

When on trails I never reach 20 mph. But I don't think any of that really matters so much. And if you buy a universal cone and the adapter plate you can do this mod for the same price as a K&N filter.

I know it will give you more power to add a cone, especially if you have other things done. I could tell a huge difference when I went from a cone to a stock air box and custom snorkle (Note, stock has a snorkle too, it just goes down and forward instead of up and back, lol).

So all this about "warm air intake" is bogus. Just run an high flow filter and be done with it... Why spend $100 or more on a conical filter and intake tubing when you can spend $40 on a K&N at Advanced. I do think that the billet grills for the 1st gen would help with the Ambient Temp.

Its not that cold air is bogus, rather that any performance gains are minimal and only when traveling under 20mph.. Think about winter time when the temp is 30 deg outside... Does you engine scream like a banshee? Of course not.. It performs slightly better.... Obvsiously you'd realize more gains if you had alot of high performance (and $$$) mods, but still they would be limited to the 20mph...

Your now asking a different question (air flow)... A free flowing conical filter will always flow more air than a comparable drop in filter. A conical filter has more surface area and a 360 degree air draw compared to a drop in and a more flat linear draw..

But regardless of surface area the engine is only going to draw a certain amount of air. You could have a trash can size filter and it will only perform as much as the engine will allow. Has anyone seen or tested the "bang for the buck" difference between KKM and a drop in K&N filter? I'm sure your money can be better spent on exhaust or a larger TB?

Thanks for all your advice, i like that kkm kit, and i am going to redo my whole exhaust soon, ill be sure to let you know how it turns out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

But regardless of surface area the engine is only going to draw a certain amount of air. You could have a trash can size filter and it will only perform as much as the engine will allow. Has anyone seen or tested the "bang for the buck" difference between KKM and a drop in K&N filter? I'm sure your money can be better spent on exhaust or a larger TB?

Yes there are cfm studies on various intakes.... the search feature will find them... A trash can size filter will allow the engine to receive max air all the time; whereas a stock air box will only allow max air until the filter is dirty and begins to restrict air flow.. As such the larger the filter area the longer it will allow max air flow before adversely affecting performance. Do you go off-road? If so a cone filter is several inches higher than the stock box which can mean the difference from getting through a water hole and getting stuck with a hydro locked engine. What about future mods? It would waste $$ in the long run if you're mods (larger TB, MAF, exhaust, chip etc) exceeded the limits of your drop in filter. Look around as you maybe able to get a KKM for not much more than a drop in K&N (I paid $50 for mine)...

Back