I Need Traction...

carlover

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Fontana,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XL
Ok after going to truckhaven and doing a few of those hills and all that i see that i obviously need some traction help. Im going to be getting regeared within the next few months to either 4.56's or 4.88's. The guy doing my gears has done them for years and years and has done all kinds offroad racing from crawling to desert. He seems to swear by the Tru-Trac LS for all but the most extreme offroad conditions. Its fairy priced at about 450$, so im leaning pretty heavily towards that. Does anyone have any opinions or advice with this or any other LS. Im not sure about a full on locker anymore, especially in the sand which is where the explorer will spend much of its time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ran for years with front and rear limited slips, and everybody thought I had lockers. :D In the rear I had an Auburn Gear LS, which I thought was pretty good. I believe the Tru-Trac is better, in fact the best LS available.
I say it would be the smartest move. :thumbsup:
Later on, if you want more traction, you can put a locker up front. :cool:

As you might know i just got a zexel-torsen diff installed which is essentially a detroit tru-trac. I'll be out at truckhaven for the turkey run testing it out so if you go you can see first hand how it will work. Also i have heard that if you apply slight brake pressure along with the throttle, it works as a locker, which is another plus.

O i am sorry, you have my condolensces (sp?) I'll be sure to report back to you.

tough news man...sorry to hear that...but as far as your rig, i think we got a similar setup...2wd, spindles and all that jazz...i run a power-trax locker and i love it...best thing ive done for my rig...it will suprise many people when you take it palces and tell them it's a 2wd...i think for what you are doing, the l/s will be great, but i do love my locker...yeah, it chirps on the street and is rougher on the back tires, but hey, it's all part of the game right? good luck;)

If i wanted strictly a locker i probably would have gone with the powertrax too, but i think you would be happiest on the street with a tru-trac. This is of course based on what i have heard from others.

First...Sorry to hear about your Grandma, my sympathy to you and your family.

You daily drive that thing right? In the rear of my trucks I've had a ford factory limited slip, EZ Locker (lunchbox style), mini-spool and whatever is in my truck right now (I think it's a lockrite, but it may be a detroit for how good it works). I've also had a lunchbox locker in the front and a detroit.

I really liked the detroit the best and I would think of all those mentioned (besides the Ford LS) the detroit was the most friendly and reliable. Spend the money on avoiding the ones under $200. What's a tank of gas, a pumpkin full of gear oil and a shot weekend of wheeling worth when you go a couple hundred bucks too cheap?

I'm really jealous of the guys with ARBs too. You can get yourself into some pretty nasty situations but then engage the locker when you really need it to go a little further.

For the rear and if you're planning on a full carrier locker, then x2 on the Detroit.

Its what I run on the 14-bolt and its street friendly (no tire chirping) around corners until you mash the gas.

Back