Gearing Question

carlover

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Fontana,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XL
What rpm should i be at with 32's and 3.27's at 65?? I know there is a calculator out there somewhere but i couldnt find it. For some reason putting on 32's didnt seems to affect performance too much. Im wondering if the rear axle was regeared before i bought it. Im gonna crawl under the truck to see what the tag is on the axle to see if the whole axle has been replaced. If i remember right im at about 2,000 rpm's at 60 or 65. does that sound right??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i had that exact set-up and 2K sounds about right, at 55 in OD it was like 1600RPM. But i lost a TON of power, for christ sakes i couldnt pull myself up a steep grade in 4high not enough power to even spin wheels.

i havent really gone up any hills, but it still seems to pull ok on the street. im looking into how much it would cost to get regeared with some 4.10's right now.

I just did mine, 4.56 gears/ locked front, rebuilt the LS in the back. BOY WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! 4.56's are the way to go, i have power again. now i just bought a second donor explorer, this one is a 5-speed manual w/ manual transfer, this spring the trans/transfer are goin in. the gears/locker/rebuild cost me 1100$ I also put new rear brakes/bearings.

Yeah im not sure if i want to go quite as high a 4.56's, but im considering it. i wish i knew how to do it myself, i could save tons of money but im gonna have to pay to get it done and i have no clue what to expect. since im 2wd i have no front diff to worry about.

Back