• Register Today It's free!

35's, Should i wait for gears?

Vozar

Reaction score
City, State
Murfreesboro,Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
94,98 & 03 explorer
I am about to put my 35's on and i was wondering if I could wait a few months till I put gears on. Im looking at 4.56's . I have 3.73's right now if 3.73 and 35's will hold up for a few months. Will I damage anything in my drivetrain like tranny, etc. Getting an locker soo too. For now im not focused on gassmilage as much as driveline durability. Should I be ok or will 3.73's be ok untill christmas or so. Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey I cant help with your question but I am needing to get some new gears soon. Was wondering if it would be possible for me to install the ones you would be getting rid of into my 4x2. I am going to be getting 33s soon and these 3.27's arent going to cut it. Are your gears open or LS? Thanks. Name your price if they will work for my X.

Now I notice in your sig that they are LS.

Gears have nothing to do with being open or LS. Installing used gears usually isn't worth it, especially putting 3.73s in to run 33s.

Back on subject............you can run the 35s with 3.73s. I won't be a nice ride, and offroad the traction will suck bad, but they can be run as a temp. measure.

Brandon4au- I have have 3.73's with limited slip. I have 100,000 miles on them. If i get 4.56's ill sell u my 3.73's

Robb- with a rear locker and the 3.73's will offroad traction still suck?.

Traction won't suck, but low end torque will. The SOHC isn't known for its bottom end torque so anything you do to hurt it will be amplified.

If your transmission is marginal or has a lot of miles, it could cause it to fail sooner than it normally would. My Explorer had about 102K on it when I put my 33s on it. My transmission had never given me any signs of trouble. Within a couple of months it started slipping and clunking when downshifting. I ended up getting it rebuilt at 104K miles and swapped my 4.10s for 4.56s a couple of weeks later to ease the strain on the transmission. You are going to a larger tire than I did, and have 3.73s instead of my 4.10s so if yours is in the same shape mine was or worse, it will probably show up pretty quickly. I'm not trying to scare you about your transmission. I don't have any idea what kind of condition yours is in, but I felt that mine was in very good condition at the time I put my 33s on. I had kept up with the maintenance and kept a close eye on the condtion of the fluid.

Robert is correct.....torque is a better word for what I was going for. That or "UMMMPH!":D

what is a good price for gear instalation in a shop for both differentials.

ok, i got a quote from a shop around here and they wanted $650 for instalation. THey also wanted $600 for parts. I know i can get the parts online cheaper. I found the 8.8 ring and pinion but i cant seem to find the d35 ring and pinion. Could someones point me in the right direction. Thanks,Matt

I bought my gears from Desert Rat, they got them from Superior Gear. I think the R&Ps were about $200 a set and about $60-$70 for each differential rebuild kit. Total price for front & rear 4.56, both differential rebuild kits, Power Trax No Slip rear locker and installation came to $1650 and took a day to put it all in.

I dont need the differential rebuild kit do I?

You will need to get a gear install kit (small diff rebuid kit) when you put the gears in. They run $60-$80.

woohoo, i got everyhing in and im getting it installed this week.

Everyhing is installed and rebuilt and it drives great!!!

Why didnt you wait for the locker..? They could have installed it for free when doing the gears.

final cost

So what was your final cost to do the job. The parts and instalation?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Premier- I did want ot wait but i really needed the gears i went about 800 miles with out them. I might get a powertrax later. Im still deciding between that and a winch.

Oscarnec- I paid way too much but i really just wanted to get them done. Im working double time now. I ordered the gears and rebuild kit for 500 total online.Free SHipping! I paid 890 to get them installed. It was 350 for front,300 for back, plus tax and a few parts they needed to order in. I cant remember them off hand but they said they did not come with the rebuild kit. Im happy though because the rebuilt everything. TOTAL-$1390

I now have like 300 miles on them and had to go offroad today. I didnt really want to but i did. One of my friends was stuck and i had to help him out .I didnt want to pull him out because i only have 300 miles. I gotta wait to 500 till i put any real stress on them. It was pretty slippery and i crawled around in 2wd. The Gears are really worth it.

Back