Need Help!!! 3rd Cylinder Misfiring | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Help!!! 3rd Cylinder Misfiring

Wkbdkid

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego/Fresno
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS
Hello everybody. Recently my check engine light came on and I got it diagnosed at the oil changer and they said that my 3rd cylinder is misfiring. My question is what could make a cylinder misfire? I was told possibly spark plugs, gonna check them tomorrow. Any info is helpful. Thanks

Chad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check the plug and plug wire first.... these are the likely culprits.... after that it gets into the coil pack, and more expensive things...

if the truck hasnt been tuned up in awhile, might as well go ahead and change all the plugs and wires just to do it and at least rule that out as a problem

check the plug and plug wire first.... these are the likely culprits.... after that it gets into the coil pack, and more expensive things...

if the truck hasnt been tuned up in awhile, might as well go ahead and change all the plugs and wires just to do it and at least rule that out as a problem
Thanks man. Any idea on how the cylinders are numbered? Instead of checkin all and trying to find it maybe i could check the third and if its bad ill replace all.

COIL
3 4
2 6
1 5

Engine
3 6 >>> Drivers Side
2 5 >>> Drivers Side
1 4 >>> Drivers Side
^^^^Front of Engine

changing the plugs on the right side of the truck is a blast! That is probably about the same amount of fun as pulling the transmission out of the truck. Thank Ford for such a great design!

lol ^^^^ could be an injector also!!! but most likely plugs and/or wire

Thanks guys. Im gonna check it out.

changing the plugs on the right side of the truck is a blast! That is probably about the same amount of fun as pulling the transmission out of the truck. Thank Ford for such a great design!
plugs on mine arent too bad. Having it lifted helps a bunch, only the far back ones are a pain cause of the shock setup

Well i changed plugs that was easy, but ran into a problem with the wires. When i took them off the plugs i must of moved them out of order. So when i installed the new ones, it was wrong. I started it up and an unusual pop came from the engine so i turned it off. Now my question is i need to know what wire goes where from the coil pack(i believe thats the name) to the proper spark plug. Thanks.

This is how i have it wired presently, hope it makes sense.
sparkplugs= I coil pack = O
I ---O O--- I
I ---O O--- I
I--- O O--- I

COIL
3 4
2 6
1 5

Engine
3 6 >>> Drivers Side
2 5 >>> Drivers Side
1 4 >>> Drivers Side
^^^^Front of Engine

How about the firing sequence for a 98 explorer xlt 4.0 sohc V6?

Is it the same?

Mine's misfiring on the 1st and 4th.

COIL
3 4
2 6
1 5

Engine
3 6 >>> Drivers Side
2 5 >>> Drivers Side
1 4 >>> Drivers Side
^^^^Front of Engine

Is this the same for my 98 4.0 SOHC? I'm about to replace my spark plug cables. Misfiring on 1st and 4th based on the scan. I already replaced all 6 spark plugs by the way.

Back