• Register Today It's free!

Cold Weather Idle

baldy

Reaction score
City, State
Murfreesboro, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
I'm having the same problem as some others with regard to cold weather idle. I've read all the posts, and know it could be the intake gaskets, or the IAT. On mine it seems the IAT is part of the mass airflow, but the parts stores show an IAT for my vehicle. My question is, if I want to try the IAT first, do I need to replace the MAF or is the IAT replaceable within the MAF? Intake gaskets might be harder to replace, but cheaper than replacing the MAF. I do have the engine light on, if that makes a difference.

Sorry, mine is a 01 Sport, 4X4, SOHC.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IAC problems are not usually temperature sensitive. Replace the lower intake manifold gaskets using the updated Ford gasket set. It is a little more work but is much more likely to solve the problem.

I got the kit today, I'll be changing them this weekend. After reading this site and others, I decided that was the way to go first.

IAC problems are not usually temperature sensitive. Replace the lower intake manifold gaskets using the updated Ford gasket set. It is a little more work but is much more likely to solve the problem.

I disagree. Mine gave out when it was VERY COLD. and it seems as if others are having that same problem this winter. It would have to be real cold. it was 20 deg F when mine gave out and others are reporting similar problems in canada.

Yes, the kit fixed the cold weather idle problem, but I've created a vacum leak that caused the p171 and p174 to return. It runs good, gas mpg doesn't seem too bad, but I can hear the leak, and the codes came back. I'll have to wait till the weekend to find it, 14 hour work days don't allow for a lot of time during the week.

Can you tell me where you purchased the kit?

I disagree. Mine gave out when it was VERY COLD. and it seems as if others are having that same problem this winter. It would have to be real cold. it was 20 deg F when mine gave out and others are reporting similar problems in canada.

An IAC may fail when it gets cold but my point is that once it fails an IAC usually doesn’t start working again when the weather gets warm. When an IAC fails it stays broken. Unfortunately, this is sometimes masked by the fact that the IAC is typically more active during a cold start. In comparison, the lower intake manifold gasket vacuum leak is very temperature sensitive because of the expansion and contraction of the intake manifold during temperature changes. The leak gets bad when it is cold and goes away when it is warm.

Yes, the kit fixed the cold weather idle problem, but I've created a vacum leak that caused the p171 and p174 to return. It runs good, gas mpg doesn't seem too bad, but I can hear the leak, and the codes came back. I'll have to wait till the weekend to find it, 14 hour work days don't allow for a lot of time during the week.

Check the tee connector that the PCV plugs into. The connector gets moved around when you R&R the intake manifold. It cracks very easily once the plastic gets old and is another common cause of vacuum leaks. I’m glad to hear the gaskets fixed the cold start problem. Isn’t it nice that the money for an IAC is still in your wallet?

Space I had already replaced the IAC last year, but then I waited till warm weather, and the idle didn't improve any. If it was 70 outside it wouldn't idle, so with the help of this site I narrowed it down to the IAC, and it worked. Wish I'd gone on and done both then, it would've saved a bunch of headaches now. I'm sure once I get the time to look really good I'll find the leak, not as bad as searching for an electrical short, but finding vacum leak is close sometimes.

Rob, I bought mine at the Ford dealer, but I probably could've just bought the orings at Advance. It looked like factory gaskets, but I already had the oil restrictor rod in place. I used the new cam tensioner, but not sure I needed it.

Back