Rotor Painting

bigapple

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Baton Rouge LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLS Touring
was rotating my tires today and decided that i didnt like the big rusty spots on the inside of my rotors... went ahead and used the silver i used before on my brake calipers... after much sanding and inhaling rust (with a mask but still bad haha), heres the result

coats of primer...

2456765_102_full.jpg

after driving around and wearing away the excess...

2456765_103_full.jpg

2456765_104_full.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Painting the friction surface of the rotors didn't contaminate the brake pads?

well even if it did, its not like it doesnt wear away like the pad does... if its still on the pads, itll be off eventually

well even if it did, its not like it doesnt wear away like the pad does... if its still on the pads, itll be off eventually

Or your truck isn't going to stop you as fast as it usually does. :roll:

Painting the hubs... :thumbsup:
Painting the rotor surface... :eek:

Looks good, I myself would have tried to cover the outside surface somehow. but nice job.

That's good you didn't have any problems. Looks good.:thumbsup:

Or your truck isn't going to stop you as fast as it usually does. :roll:

Painting the hubs... :thumbsup:
Painting the rotor surface... :eek:

it wasn't THAT big of a deal... its not like i went straight to the freeway doing 80 or anything

That's good you didn't have any problems. Looks good.:thumbsup:

haha im sure it wasnt the rite thing to not cover but i didnt feel like having to go buy wide painter's tape to cover it up and i rode up and down my street in my neighborhood a few times before i took it out on the fast roads... it was a bit slippery at first but that was expected... i wanted a really defined line and not leaving any unpainted surface behind so i just went ahead and covered extra

not exactly. brake pads are a porous surface. Particles will dissipate through the entire pad and even into the rotor. This is why it is suggested if you switch to brake pads of a different compound you replace your rotors instead of just turning them because you will have some of the old compound in the new.
Though I don't see any problems coming from it on a daily driver. Race application maybe.

It is never a good idea to paint the friction surface of the rotor and/or let that same paint penetrate into the pad itself. Braking will suffer and is especially not recommended to do on a daily driven vehicle.

Guys you need to research more before doing these mods at a whim. I swear between this stuff and the MAF modification thread I see I am surprised more people aren't having problems result from the oddball jobs they do on their vehicles.

The entire thought of painting the surface is dangerous.

not exactly. brake pads are a porous surface. Particles will dissipate through the entire pad and even into the rotor. This is why it is suggested if you switch to brake pads of a different compound you replace your rotors instead of just turning them because you will have some of the old compound in the new.
Though I don't see any problems coming from it on a daily driver. Race application maybe.

It is never a good idea to paint the friction surface of the rotor and/or let that same paint penetrate into the pad itself. Braking will suffer and is especially not recommended to do on a daily driven vehicle.

Guys you need to research more before doing these mods at a whim. I swear between this stuff and the MAF modification thread I see I am surprised more people aren't having problems result from the oddball jobs they do on their vehicles.

you need to chill

The entire thought of painting the surface is dangerous.

maybe u guys i care.... I DONT CARE... i dont need a chemistry lesson... the car still stops

This is great. I can't wait for the "Whoops" posts saying "I painted my rotors and look what I hit."

you need to chill

maybe u guys i care.... I DONT CARE... i dont need a chemistry lesson... the car still stops

I didn't mean to come off as a smartass but it just sounds like trouble to me. I wouldn't want to see you or anyone else get hurt trying that.

you need to chill

You need to pay attention to people who know what the hell they are talking about. The reason why these safety issues were mentioned is because they are real. The paint will gather onto the pad surface, get real hot and then proceed to glaze over making a surface not good for dissipating heat or for producing the proper friction to stop your vehicle as quickly as what it is supposed to. I could care less if another idiot such as yourself plows into a tree. What I do care about is if that idiot plows into a family minding their own business cruising down the road because they were too dumb to do a simple job properly. This may come off as pretty harsh but "I DONT CARE..." :salute:

You got it Rocket. Many mods, dress up and altering may seem like no issue but can really bit you later. An easy example is front and rear light. If some one hits you and you did not put on DOT approved light lens you can be charged with the accident. It does not seem like much until they take you to court for a ton of money.
Ford even has a recall for this issue. Most these members do not want to see any one get hurt but take it for what you will.

Brakes

Bigapple,
I'm not gonna come on here and call you an idiot, but I think you had other much better options than painting the rotors.
I agree with the other that that's a terrible idea.
They don't make brake part cleaner film free for nothing.
These may have been a better option.
http://ebcbrakes.iwebcat.com/imgVD/EBC/disc1.jpg
Or of course at least trying to mask the used surface of the rotors from paint.

Just my opinion, as everyone has their own.
cheers

Ben.
:navajo:

ok maybe i came off a bit harsh but honestly i really dont think its a huge issue u know... yea maybe it wasnt the smartest thing but it just seems like as long as the pads can make nice solid friction with that rotor that itll stop... i apologize for maybe comming off as a ****** cuz i was in a bad mood earlier haha... and rocket the reason i single u out is cuz u never have anything positive to say... always cutting down and giving criticism instead of saying "nice job"... maybe not this project cuz it was pretty dumb and i dont blame u haha... but seriously dude i never see u say anything positive... always having to correct other peoples crap

Bigapple,
I'm not gonna come on here and call you an idiot, but I think you had other much better options than painting the rotors.
I agree with the other that that's a terrible idea.
They don't make brake part cleaner film free for nothing.
These may have been a better option.
http://ebcbrakes.iwebcat.com/_Members/lookups/partdetail.asp
Or of course at least trying to mask the used surface of the rotors from paint.

Just my opinion, as everyone has their own.
cheers

Ben.
:navajo:

yea i coulda masked it off with some tape but i only had the kind that was about half an inch thick for small spots... i had some painters tape that was 3 inches wide but i couldnt find it and already had the wheels off... i appreciate the constructive criticism without the "your a dumbass" stuff... i understand where u come from

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you're still alive 2 days after the fact, then you'll probably be alright ;)

Back