Light out behind Tach?

Edvard_Grieg

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport
Hi!

I've got an '01 Sport, it's generally run quite well, but just the other day it appears the light went out behind the Tach on the dash. I assume it is a bulb, as if it were a fuse I'd imagine the whole dash would be dead.

Can anyone point me where to look for a replacement part and any general tips for getting behind there?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

and any general tips for getting behind there?

Thanks!
You have to remove the gauge cluster to get to the bulbs. There are several threads on here with the info on what you need to do to get the cluster out so I won't get into the details.

. . . . . just thought ONCE you have entered behind the cluster; you just might want to replace all the bulb's back there, for sooner or later another will go, then again later another, etc. ....... etc....:eek:.... Better off changin' em all while your in there this First time and all......(just never know about's the "other" bulb's-condition) ......{ from my experience & other job request's of doing so many...... ;) } . . . . . BUT just wanted to point this out to ya, >>> IF you decide to accept this ORDEAL . . . . .:rolleyes: ...... of a "cluster remove and replace"_ job of interest..........:salute:

mr. Charles

. . . . . just thought ONCE you have entered behind the cluster; you just might want to replace all the bulb's back there, for sooner or later another will go, then again later another, etc. ....... etc....:eek:.... Better off changin' em all while your in there this First time and all......(just never know about's the "other" bulb's-condition) ......{ from my experience & other job request's of doing so many...... ;) } . . . . . BUT just wanted to point this out to ya, >>> IF you decide to accept this ORDEAL . . . . .:rolleyes: ...... of a "cluster remove and replace"_ job of interest..........:salute:

mr. Charles

Ok, just took a look at http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46290 which I assume would be pretty close/similar....and I think you make a VERY valid point to do them all at once...given that this does look a little gnarly, is there anything else 'cool' I could do while I'm back there for a little more pizzaz etc? (not rice'r pizzaz, but maybe something like those indiglo gauges in the link - granted their site is dead now...)

EDIT:

Also, how many bulbs are actually back there?

it takes a 194 bulb, you would have to pull it out if the socket.

Is it difficult to pull it out of the socket, or is this a variant on "How many people does it take to change a lightbulb? ;)

I checked PartsAmerica and they say that an Instrument Lamp for my car is a Sylvannia 161...is that for somewhere different on the car?

......... "Also, how many bulbs are actually back there?" . . . . .

....sorry to say i don't know how many exactly for your model ( 2001 ), But for the recent one's i have encountered, ( 94's up to the 96's ), they tend to show of somewhere in the number of 16 each [194's - i believe] . . . . i usually by the box of 12's, but, buying at least 6 to 8 boxes of at a time. . . . with your model it could be some what the same or even less of . . . . . .

mr. Charles

........." 161 " ...... if i remember correctly, those are something of the " 12 Volts Blue Instrument and Accent Bulbs " - type . . . . & costing in the area of like $2.99 Each ! ! ! :eek: . .[ IF you buy each one = separately ] . . . . . . . IF that number is the bulb for which i encountered a while back is the same as your's.......[ another # would be of 2721=12 Volts Instrument and Courtesy Bulbs (clear) ].......
...[also, they are easy to change, twist & pull out "bulb_socket", then, just pull "bulb" out of the "bulb_socket" and replace with new one, then replace the socket back into the corresponding socket_hole from the cluster, with a light_push & twist_ like - reinstall...]

mr. Charles

Ok, just took a look at http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46290 which I assume would be pretty close/similar....and I think you make a VERY valid point to do them all at once...given that this does look a little gnarly, is there anything else 'cool' I could do while I'm back there for a little more pizzaz etc? (not rice'r pizzaz, but maybe something like those indiglo gauges in the link - granted their site is dead now...)

EDIT:

Also, how many bulbs are actually back there?

Led lights are a cool way to Jazz it up! There are some threads on this as well, do a search.

They are just a twist out bulb. If you're mechanically inclined, it's a 1/2 hour-ish job to remove, fix, and put back together.

i went and got these from speedhut.com, so far i like them

dptzeq.jpg

ol8xt.jpg

as for changing your bulbs, i happen to have a set of "junk" gauges in my shed, so i took some pictures, and this should help you.

on the back side of your gauges, if you look, there is 6 black sockets, these are your main lights for your gauges

2rnhrg5.jpg

they simply twist out (i think you turn them counter clockwise). they might be a little hard to twist, but don't worry, they will come out

once they are out, this is what they look like. if they try and sell you the bulb and socket, they are just ripping you off

2vbo86u.jpg

you just pull the bulb out of the socket

detcbc.jpg

and replace it. they are 194 bulbs, and you should be able to get them anywhere.

this will give you sort of a idea on what a L.E.D. bulb looks like. i was going to put these in my gauges, but i think you need a wide angle L.E.D. , and this isn't it, but you get the idea.

1112p0l.jpg

hope this helps. and yes, it should only take about a half hour to do this, but if you have never done it before it might take a hour or a little longer

Hey vroom, Thanks for the pics of the backside! I am was going to replace mine with the led bulbs, and was not sure what to see when I got to that point. Between your pics and the pics on the "how to" thread, this should be a snap!
p.s. Love the signature saying! How true!

hey no problem. now thanks to this thread, i just got some L.E.D.'s from ebay for my gauges, and heater controls. now i am after the ones for the interior. sometimes i love this site, and hate it, because it is full of idea's that i want to do, and end up ripping my truck apart to do them EVERY weekend! i might as well put it back together with velcro, because i only end up taking it apart to change something later on!

oh yea, and about the signature, it is the story of my life

Back