power steering whine

seth247

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 4X4
i have a 92 xlt 4x4 and the power steering pump whines like a MOTHER its louder than the engine some times. But some times i cant hear it.

is this normal with first gens or is my pump on its last legs?

i have herd another explorer do this but it was a second gen

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The power steering does whine quite loudly on first gen expos, but if the pump is loud at times and quite at others (under the same steering conditions) it may indicate that the pump is dying.

thanks for the reply the whole on again off again thing might be in my head i think.

if i get a new pump is there anything i should do to make sure it wont develope a whine?

completely drain the fluid by disconnecting line.

fill with lucas power steering fluid.

not cheap but great stuff.

Mine is silent. You may have air in the system -- I fixed that on a car once using a bleeding technique I can't remember.

Or, the pump may be going. If it were mine, I'd see about getting the air out, and if that didn't silence it, I'd replace the pump.

Anyway, it's not normal.

You could try the cheap fix..........lift the entire frt end......suck out most of the dirty old fluid in the reservoir (NEVER let it go dry or let it suck air).........replace, w/ fresh clean fluid..........try not to create air bubbles, when filling. Then, engine on...........turn the wheels left and right (close to lock but, not to lock)...........repeat as many times as you think.

IF you see that the new fluid is getting cloudy............suck more out and replace w/ fresh...........NEVER let it go dry or let it suck air.

Repeat, left and right.........til you're satisfied.

Return the vehicle to the ground and check level of fluid (don't over fill). Test drive.

Aloha, Mark

PS........you could also leave it on the ground and do the same......but, it takes more driving (left/right, using up more gas).

pwr steering

i am having a similar prob in my 98 sport, but only when i make a left turn at low speed, about half of locked, it makes a... groaning? noise almost like a rubbing sound
any ideas?

i am having a similar prob in my 98 sport, but only when i make a left turn at low speed, about half of locked, it makes a... groaning? noise almost like a rubbing sound
any ideas?
Try the steering linkages (tie-rod ends).

I've had this problem forever. I want to get my power steering fluid flushed and replaced. But I read a while back that you run the risk of making it ever LOUDER by messing with it. I'm not sure if it could get much louder but I definitely don't want it to lol. Is Lucas better than regular ps fluid?

- Brandon

yes, it is.

i have used it in a leaking rack in my vette, noisy pump in my f150 and many other vehicles that i have worked on.

If you cant find any syntheics around you (like Lucas), try stopping by the GM dealership (chevy) and ask them for their Power Steering fluid -- superior than Ford's fluid. I can attest to this because I use it in my full hydro steer and saw less small bubbles in the system (less "aeration"). The GM fluid will run around $7-$8 per quart.

Yeah the autozone near where I work has seriously I think the whole line of Lucas lol. I think I need my differential serviced because my Rear Antilock light is popping on. Not to mention it hasn't been serviced in a while and I also get a thud when I accelerate and let off like a few others had a problem with lol. So when I get the differential serviced I'm going to have someone flush and fill my PS pump with Lucas.

I love fixing my truck lol.

People keep telling me to sell it, but she was my first car and I just don't think I can get rid of it lol.

Thanks alot guys!

- Brandon

thanks for the help guys ill try the lucas first cause i've herd all kinds of praise for that stuff. if that don't work i'll try the flush.

If you dont feel like lifting the truck up to drain the fluid... use a turkey baster or some sort of suction pump and stick it in where you fill you p/s and do it that way :)

Oh yeah, if you want to get most of the fluid out without draining the whole thing I dont think it will happen but you add some... turn the steering wheel back and forth and it will mix with the old fluid and you suck that stuff out and fill it again... you'll get most the fluid out this way I think

wow my first thread.

that was a year ago and i JUST now got around to replacing the pump.

kinda pathetic.

I think that most fords in general have loud power steering pumps. My experience anyway.

I had this before also. The pump was leaking, and low level fluid caused the whining. I had a crack between the cast section and the plastic upper section. Replacing the pump was the fix. My advice is not to chase the whine with temp fixes. The pump isn't that expensive and fairly easy to replace, so do it once and forget it. Just my two cents.

completely drain the fluid by disconnecting line.

fill with lucas power steering fluid.

not cheap but great stuff.

Before you spend the extra money on the high line fluid, make sure you don't have a leak somewhere. If you do, you'll just be leaking more expensive stuff.

my 2 cents

i dont know if u want to hear my 2 cents or not as i am just a wannabe member( lol if i had a credit card i would be elite). but anyways i just changed my power steering pump. i think it took 15 minutes to change it now i will bleed it. someone mentioned lucas to get rid of the wine well it might work for a while but if it is leaking get another 1 i bought mine used for 20 dollars and wow. for the time and money it cost it is worth it. you should of course put lucas in once u change it as wow it is the best lubricant's in the world i am sure. but anyways mine was whinning and i topped it up , whine went away, fluid leaked out whine came back. replace bleed and put the problem to rest

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back