• Register Today It's free!

4x4 troubles

Pheonixx77

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 sport trac
ok heres what i know...the 4x4 does not work in HI or LOW...the t case wll NOT engauge at all. i have been told by some users on the ford truck forums that there is a way to test the 4x4 system KOEO there is a box in left rear panel (near tre jack) that you push a white button and a light comes on and stays on or flashes. well i tried that it did neither. the symptoms before it completely went nuts? the yellow-orange colored lights in the pushbutton were on but dimmer than when engauged, and the dash llumination for the swtch was non existent. also the dash indicator lights that say "4x4" and "4 low" do not illuminate either. i believe it is the switch gone bad or the lightbulbs burned out? but i have been told most likely it is the t-case contacts getting dirty or somethng...it has fresh synthetic fluid and the hubs were changed from auto to manual ones about 2 mos before the failure. everything worked beautifully before all this. and i only used it 2 or three times before the failure...any insight would be appreciated as i will be moving back to NY soon and will have to face some ugly amounts of snow, quite possibly on the way home.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is the link to the Singleton maintenance site, this describes how to test and clean your t-case motor.
Dead Link Removed

ok but are you sure the symptoms i described signify the t case not engaging?

Originally posted by Pheonixx77
ok but are you sure the symptoms i described signify the t case not engaging?
Yup, I had/have the same problem. I went out and bought a $13 t-case actuator motor from a junk yard, swapped it in and it worked. I cleaned out my old one as a spare in case this one goes out (and it has already). Its easy to diagnose and easy to fix... Good luck.

ok can you maybe post a pic of what i need ? i know its prolly the electrical "thing-a-ma-bob " attached to the t-case but i dont know much about 4x4's since this is my first one.

ok i still need help here, no 4x4 and i am moving back home to snowy hell..Western, NY (3 words...lake effect snow) anyways, i called dealer, they were slightly helpful, said to do to t-case motor what you would do to a stcky starter, bang on it with a BMH (big metal hammer) no luck...do i need to look for a t case motor? or what? and how hard is it to change? what am i looking at here 3 hours?

My 4x4 won't ingage i replace push switch on dash, but it still won't allow 4x4 high or low no light showing.
93 ford explore limited

The Ford dealer quoted me a half hour labour to swap out the T case shift motor. (no diagnostics).

Back