99 explorer sport tune up questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 explorer sport tune up questions

bigwayne3000

Reaction score
City, State
Frenchtown, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport
ok so ive had this car for about 6 yrs now (my first car) and back in the day i used to run it over 3k miles for oil change and just overall beat the crap out of it. i have a suspended license which im getting back next month and since i cant afford a new car anytime soon, im going to take better care of this one. my question is, i have about 130k miles on it right now i think and its never had a tune up or anything. what are some recommendations as far as what i should change out on it to make sure im getting all i can out of it. the most obvious would probably be the spark plugs but what else should i consider doing? im not very car friendly so im sorry if this is a stupid question. any help is appreciated, thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you replace the plugs use only motorcraft or autolite and make sure you replace the wires as well. Use only motorcraft wires as well. A lot of people on here, including myself, have had issues with cheap wires and bosch plugs.

Change all the fluids: engine, rear diff, and (t-case and front diff if its a 4wd). Synthetic fluids are more expensive but are well worth it.

I would also consider replacing the fuel filter and seafoaming the intake and fuel systems. There are write-ups for pretty much all this stuff here on the forum. Good luck!

thanks man, i appreciate it!

did you seafoam your vehicle? if so where did you go about putting in the fluid? im hearing a bunch of different answers and to be honest, after reading like 5 diff threads on this i still have no idea what they are talking about. i see that i can buy a can of seafoam at autozone for like $9 but after that im lost.. where should i put the stuff in? i understand i can put some in gas tank but running it thru the engine or whatever i dont understand. if you could shed osme light on this id appreciate it.

But a couple of cans. Put one in the gas tank and another in the intake. Putting seafoam in the intake will clean out a lot of junk but there are a few ways to do it.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238581

I would start reading that but its really up to you where you decide to put the seafoam in. What engine do you have? That thread is for a SOHC motor. I use the brake booster hose because its easy but I don't think its the best way really.

Back