• Register Today It's free!

rubbing noise

thesunsamoon

Reaction score
City, State
sandpoint idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 explorer xlt
my front wheels sound like they are rubbing on something when driving. Have to stop put in reverse, put back in drive to make noise go away. Is it transfer case?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...It could be your front wheel bearings are loose and/or bad...:scratch:

Do you have auto hubs

it could be that the hubs are not disengaging all the way or like tbars said wheel bearings. try repacking your wheel bearings first before replacing them clean everything out real good somtimes if dirt or water get in there from wheeling they will make noise

welcome

rubbing noise (almost like the sound of driving on a rumble strip)

Do you have auto hubs

yes. it is a push button 4x4. to disengage have to put in reverse after turning off button on dash. 93 explorer. It almost or actually it does sound like the tires are rubbing the corners of the wheel wells. But there is a good 4 to 6 inches clearance from anything! I have to stop then put in reverse like i am disengaging the 4 wheell drive. Back up a bit ,put back in drive then the noise is gone

it could be that the hubs are not disengaging all the way or like tbars said wheel bearings. try repacking your wheel bearings first before replacing them clean everything out real good somtimes if dirt or water get in there from wheeling they will make noise

I was wondering if it could be something like the front wheels not disengaging because I have to do the same thing (with exception to pushing the auto 4x4 button) to stop the noise. It sounds like driving on a rumble strip, But not as loud. or like when kids put baseball cards in their spokes of their bicycles ( except with more bass). I have to stop put in reverse for a few feet then back in drive. after that the sound usually stops. If it doesnt i'll repeat the process and then it stops

I have this issue every once in a while. The only time I have problems is when I turn the wheels all the way to lock. My front right hub engages and makes a rubbing sound. Stopped by a mechanic friend and while I backed up we looked under and saw the u joint turn then disengage. He said the grease inside gets old and sticky causing it to not release easily

Back