Dealership couldnt pull the orignal keypad code....?? Help!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dealership couldnt pull the orignal keypad code....?? Help!!

unc25

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V8
This is my first post and unfortunately Ive got a little problem......

Well we just purchased an 02 Explorer XLT 2wd V8. I took it to the local Ford Dealership to have them pull the original code for the door keypad.

When they hooked up they were unable to retrieve the code because the "remote module was defective". The tech said that the module was not communicating with their computer. They told me that the part was approx. $175 and labor would be around $225....for a grand total of $400.

I didnt have the time to do it today and I like to research things before I jump into them. Ive searched and searched, but I cant seem to find anything that matches "remote module"......Is there another name for it and if so what is it? Also what would be the ford part number?

The tech told me that they would have to reprogram the module in order for it to work in my vehicle.

Any incite to this problem would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah thats the same thing. Have you tried finding the code on your vehicle... to make sure the dealer knows what their talking about? I'm not sure where it is on your year. Seems like I remember it being behind the dash. But there are instructions on this forum somewhere.

I havent had a chance to look for it on the computer in the rear. But my concern was if they couldnt retrieve the code, what could be the problem? and whats else could that affect?

Is it the same hook up as OBD?

Are you able to lock the doors by pushing the 7/8, 9/0 buttons(at the same time)? Does keyless entry work?! If so, I dont think this is your problem. I might even suggest you dont have a problem.. DO you trust your dealer? It is a slow economy so they might be trying to sell you a $400 repair instead of jsut making 1/2 labor and give you the Code#.

Food for thought..

Had similar problem........ dealer couldn't program a spare key. They later find out that there was a burn PATS fuse!!
Just sharing!!

the key fob itself works no problem and the keypad lights up, but Im not sure about the 7/8 9/0 thing....My wife is in it today and Ill have her try it for me to see. Ill check out the fuses tomorrow and also check the code now that I know the location!

The dealership is ok....never really had to many dealings with them just on a couple occasions with my Mustang, but Ive learned never trust anyone! So with that said I wouldnt put it past them.......

Well the 7/8 9/0 on the keypad works!

now Ill just try to find the code......

check your manual as it should tell you how to change the code... in addition, find / get the "factory code" from the cargo panel area as you need it anyways. My experience (limited) with a few ford dealers is that their "personnel" some times leave a little to be desired in troubleshooting and testing things... of course, they really don't care since you are footing the bill for their "learning curve".

I guess my next question is......what exactly do they hook up to to retrieve the factory code?

and if it is in fact defective, does this have any affect on anything else in the vehicle? Like not being able to pull CEL codes, etc.?

The module contains a permanent factory code that can't be altered.... "usually" it is taped to the module / panel area on vehicles so equipped ("post-say" as I don't have one in my ex). As for why they can't read it, you got me..... but since your keypad locks, that means the coms are working between the pad and the module. Since your remotes work, I would say you are "basically OK". IIRC, my daughter had a similar problem and I think it was an "lack of finger / brain function" by the dealer as she had to arrange a number of visits for them to get their act together... hence, my original comments. IF you do a search, I think you will find more information on the code location... its not "its right there" type as you do have to "strain" to get at it.

PS... yep, your search and resulting reference you posted tells you everything you need to know to get there yourself. If after following thru that info about programming, you aren't successful then perhaps the module needs replacing.

the keypad code should be on a module in the passenger C-Piller about half way up. Look for a big white sticker with 5 numbers on it. That should be your original code.

Everything works!
The factory code works....My own personal code works....
No blown PATS fuse

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!

how could the unit be defective and all these functions still work?

maybe the guy at the dealership is defective?

i replaced my lock cylinder which meant i had to have ford reprogram my car to accept the new cylinder, i told them 5 times I did not have a Pats key, and they kept trying to link to the pats computer.. and kept telling me it wasnt working. after showing them my original key and a light bulb going off in the guys head that it wasnt a Pats key, everything went fine.

OK now I am confused. What were you trying to do? I guess you are trying to figure out how competent your ford dealer is... hmmmm??????? You will probably never know until you have a real problem and they fix it or not.... :)

I was originally trying to find the factory code for the keypad....thus the reason why I went to the dealership to have them pull it....When they attempted to retrieve the code, they said that the remote module was defective and they were unable to retrieve the code.

I was trying to figure out what the heck was actually going on.....

Now I know the factory code, I know both my key fob and keypad work and I dont have any blown fuses. I also know that next time I have an issues that requires dealership assistance, I'll be driving a couple extra miles to another dealership.

Thanks guys for all the incite and hopefully this will help someone else from spending unnecessary money in the future.

Coming from GM most of my driving life, I have been less than impress with most of the local ford dealers around here. Most times, they have been unable / unwilling to find equivalent parts / numbers or even understand the part on the vehicle that is needed... good example is the speed hall effect sensor on the transfer case. They look at you like you are some foreign car owner. The same is almost true of the local non-oem guys (ie. canadian tire... big chain here). Most times they have nothing for fords in there system where as very rarely was there an issue with GM... not sure why, but fords seem to be a mystery vehicle or the parts number system is.

Anyways, glad that you got to the end point and things are working.

Back