• Register Today It's free!

Lost oil pressure - 2000 SOHC 4.0

2000XLT4X4

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
Driving back home today with the Explorer loaded with the college daughter's belongings, going about 70 MPH and passing someone on I-55, when I hear my engine tapping badly. Look to see my oil pressure is gone, needle is all the way below L. Next exit is coming right up, so ending up driving maybe a mile and pulled into a Lincoln-Mercury/Dodge dealer in a small town just before they close for the day. Service department is closed already but the sales staff are very nice and help find me a tow truck to get my wife, myself, and the Explorer home. Tow was about 90 miles.
So now that I'm home, I'm looking for advice where to start. Would seem I must have lost the oil pump. I will drain the oil tomorrow and check it for debri. The truck has 95,000 miles on it and I'd like to keep it for a few more years but don't want to sink 5 grand into a vehicle that's only worth about that, if that. Any chance that if it was the oil pump, and I replaced it, that I'd be good for awhile?
And I do want to add that the people at Heller Lincoln-Mercury/Dodge in Pontiac, Illinois are great. Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome, and wait for the oil inspection. I'd look at it carefully, cut the filter open, and send some for analysis if it isn't clear. If you can see trouble, swap the engine. If you cannot I'd spend $22 for an oil analysis, which can suggest how much bearing material etc. is in there.

Unless it turns up to appear perfect, it'd be best to buy a used engine from a salvage yard. The SOHC has valvetrain issues which can be expensive by themselves. If you hunt, you can find a decent used SOHC for $500 or so, and upgrade the valvetrain parts easily before installing it. You could get away with under $1000 in total costs besides labor. If you do the oil pump, it may be good, and the valvetrain may need work then or soon also.

Browse this thread if you have some time.
Big thread about SOHC valvetrain - http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163298

Thanks Don,
I did a google search after I posted here and found a few posts. One mentioned a guy whose engine lost pressure, seized, but then was able to restart it and heard it clatter. His mechanic tore the engine down, replaced a couple valves, and found the pump to be good but that a shaft with gear that drives the pump, became disengaged because of wear. There had been a washer-type spacer that has since been upgraded to a roller bearing.
I would guess that when I read the link you gave, it'll detail this with other improvements since this engine was originally released by Ford.
I also think I found a used engine already. It's advertised as having 75K miles on it.
Thanks again,
Bill

Don,
Started reading through that link you gave me, WOW! That's a really great write-up. I just got through 3 of the 15 pages and will continue reading it tomorrow.
Thanks for the help.
Bill

Very good Bill. That thread like all good threads is redundant in many things. I kept going over the key points.

The parts aren't that expensive, but the tool kit does cost about $150 and you have to have it for the work. If you buy a used engine, and can do or pay someone for the work, get the valvetrain done, including the back cassette. I also changed my oil pump for maintenance purposes, that would be good for any engine that has been out.

If the engine you find has no damage yet, then the mileage should be no issue. Just replace the several needed items, and it could go for 150k or more again.

I haven't done anything as yet to my Explorer. Luckily, I've got a beater to drive while the truck gets repaired. I've read through probably the first 11 pages in the thread that Don suggested and have learned a lot thus far.
One bit of history I should have mentioned is that I'm the original owner of this Explorer and that it had the tensioner(s) replaced at about 25,000 miles under warranty along with the intake o-ring gasket. I was surprised to have this failure, but then again, during the last three oil changes I've done on the truck, I found some weird grit in the old oil. Thought it was metal at first, but found it was not magnetic and it crumbled between my fingers when I rubbed them together.
I guess this was plastic from the tensioners disintegrating and as you guys guessed, I've probably got plastic clogging the oil pickup. I'm going to take my time, do as Don said and check the oil and oil filter, then pull the engine and dig in.
Thanks to all here!
Bill

Back