Need help quick with factory amplifier in my 04 explorer *PICS INSIDE* | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help quick with factory amplifier in my 04 explorer *PICS INSIDE*

uglydimple12

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer
Now finally I have access to my factory amp after hacking down so much stuff to gain access to the amp..

At this point I am not sure what to do? I need more info or advice..

My problem was that I could not get any sound coming out of my door speakers even when I wired everything up correctly.. I even tried to connect the factory amp, it would not work.. So some thought maybe it is because of the speakers' wire are ran thru the factory amp as well so maybe I have to bypass it.. or whatever.. So I guess I need to bypass it or whatever I m supposed to do.. I am really dumbfounded now, not sure what to do at all.. It is my first time dealing with factory sub/amp as well.. I just want to bypass the factory amp and call it a day..

by the way, I got a Pioneer Avic F900BT headunit in case you want to know and yes I already have gotten the factory wiring harness adapter..

Right now all I see is 4 wires attached to an adapter that is plugged into the amp.. all 4 wires are white wires but 2 of them got purple stripe and another 2 got blue stripe.. pics provided below

what should I do?

also there is another adapter plug in the bottom of the amp.. shown in the pixs

Help would be very much appreciated, I think after I solve this issue, I should be able to finish up my system tonight!!

IMG_1547.jpg

IMG_1548.jpg

IMG_1549.jpg

IMG_1550.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have no idea and if worse comes to worse, try a car audio shop to see if they can figure out what you need to get whatever you want hooked up. Other than head unit, did you replace any other speakers?

I could be wrong, but I think all that amp does is supply the factory sub.

thats correct...all that amp controls is the subwoofer right next to it...

all of the door speakers are powered off the headunit itself... try plugging the stock stereo in to see if that puts out anything....if not..then either all your speakers went out or somehow the wires to every speaker got cut or the stock headunit is blown....

did you hook up EVERY wire to the harness ...it should be 1 yellow ,1black, and 1 red wire...and then 4 pairs of wires ( gray green purple and white if i remember right)

try shooting us a pic of the harness

I have no idea and if worse comes to worse, try a car audio shop to see if they can figure out what you need to get whatever you want hooked up. Other than head unit, did you replace any other speakers?
no i did not replace any speakers however I will be investing into a component set in near future but that is not our concern as of now..

Seems to me like it should work unless you wired it up wrong....think about it....you didnt do anything but change things at the headunit and all the amp does is amplify, so the least it should do is make the sound distorted. So my guess is at the head unit.....Oh and turn ur macro on....:cool:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/search.php?keyword=ford+factory+amp+bypass&action=search
nope it did not make any sound at all, not even distorted sound..

and thank you for the link, I think maybe I might have to get that adapter but after looking at the adapter, I am trying to understand how would it work, it got 2 female slots which does not make sense to me at all

I could be wrong, but I think all that amp does is supply the factory sub.
If so then why the hell isnt my speakers working with the new HU lol?

thats correct...all that amp controls is the subwoofer right next to it...

all of the door speakers are powered off the headunit itself... try plugging the stock stereo in to see if that puts out anything....if not..then either all your speakers went out or somehow the wires to every speaker got cut or the stock headunit is blown....

did you hook up EVERY wire to the harness ...it should be 1 yellow ,1black, and 1 red wire...and then 4 pairs of wires ( gray green purple and white if i remember right)

try shooting us a pic of the harness
I did try swapping back to the stock radio and it worked with no problem..

and yes you are correct it is 1 yelow, 1 black, 1 red, and 4 pairs of grey, white, purple, and green

P.S. Now I am down to two options- either I can just go to an audio shop and ask if they can tell me what I am supposed to do.. OR I can just go out and buy bunch of 12 gauge speaker wire and run them to the door speakers from the HU which will be pain in the ass in my opinion? How hard is it going to be to run all of those wires into the dash to the doors from the HU? I never knew how to do that, so if any of you know how to, would be nice if you could explain me how to..

Hope I will find a solution tomorrow, I am calling it a night right now as Red Wings game are coming up at 10, go wings!

I can barely read that manual lol..

anyone can interpret for me ha?

but from what it seems, the amp has nothing to do with the door speakers? am i correct?

I dunno wat it says either, but it seem that Frank was correct eh?

i know for a fact that amp only powers the sub.. i took mine out last year

and where did you buy your pioneer from>? bc i hate to say it but it sounds like the internal amp on the pioneer is blown...its not an uncommon problem with pioneers...i've had two do the same thing..

if you got it locally id suggest swapping it out with another one ..

theres no need for new wires if your stock radio works...those wires go straight to all your speakers so if it works with the stock radio the wires and speakers arent the problem

haha you beat me to it. i was gonna say look in the head unit and make sure you don't have the speaker signal to the front speakers only. then is its sending a signal to front and rear your head units amp is shot. do you have another ford, or vehicle if you feel like rewiring it, you can throw it in to try it. my guess is blown internal amp samething that happened to mine when i got my first one brand new

First post, just happened to see this looking for something else, I think I may know what's wrong. I just ordered a new head unit from Crutchfield yesterday, and they had a warning in the "Installation Details" online that said installation of a new head unit could render the whole system unusable (all new speakers required) unless a bypass adapter was used, which they sell. I called in to ask, and was told since I don't have the higher end stereo (and no sub) I'd be ok. However, this sounds exactly like the problem they were describing, since they said replacement of all the factory speakers would be required without it. You didn't order your unit from them, but if you called them up they might be willing to tell you more about it and sell the adapter if that's the problem. Good luck.

Edit: I went to Crutchfield and looked up the exact message, below.

"Please Note: Because your vehicle is factory-equipped with a special sound system, Crutchfield recommends a bypass adapter that we provide. Not using this adapter could make it necessary to replace the entire factory sound system, including the speakers."

you don't need anything for the factory amp unless you want the factory sub to work with the aftermarket headunit. altho you don't even need one for that ether

Where is the location of this factory amp?

Where is the location of this factory amp?

in the trunk, right side. the trim panel needs to come off and its mounted on the black subwoofer enclosure.

Back