Where is egr valve located?

clawhn1

Reaction score
City, State
Katy TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 v8 and 93 xlt
i have the pushrod 93 4.0 explorer xlt..not the sohc or v8

i took it to a mechanic with 40 years experience,(60 yrs old) and he couldnt find it anywhere...its easy on a ranger but on mine we cant find it

if someone could draw me a diagram or tell me details how to locate it?

i can tell you one thing, its not visable by opening the hood, like the ranger, its either underneith the engine or covered up by something.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the egr valve is right behind the red and white wires you see going to the iac

DSCN1372.jpg

i do not have one.....i took it autozone right after this thread and they couldnt find it either....the pic you posted , my engine manifold doesnt have that at all on the side..i dont know if they forgot at the factory

the guys at autozone couldnt belive it...one guy was cursing because he couldnt find it.....and that wire box you have under the iac valve, i dont have that either

if you dont have a california emissions vehicle then it wont have an egr. some cars are just like that. my 93 doesnt have egr either.....i even had an 03 silverado that didnt have egr.

yup not all the explorers have them. I know mine is a 49 state fed truck with out one here in Calif and passing smog as in all things there is never a problem but NOX now that is an almost fail ever time. only time it was not was with a new cat right before a test like a few days before each test after the numbers are getting worse were this year it most likely will not pass with out a new one as with out a EGR they rely on the cat more heavily and this in turn kills a cat faster. But thanks to Calif law I can only put on a Calif cert cat and not a 49 state one even with my truck being a none Calif truck Grrr!

not all first gens have one. mine is a 91 doesnt have one. i think the 94s do though.

If anyone needs to find the EGR valve on the 5.0...

The EGR valve is behind the engine one the pass. side. Its in a very tight area, youll have to remove the EGV bracket to get a wrench on the bolts. Ill post pictures and go into detail asap ; )

The EGR valve goes for about $140+ new. Go to your local wrecker yard with a vacuum tester and ten bucks and your set!

looked behind the iac and did not see the egr valve. is that the only place it would be on the '93 explorer xlt?

Hey guys i think this is a good question, if my 1991 explorer is from texas and does not have an egr valve?, is it possible to install one anyways? Like get all the components and install them.

EGR came out on 94's. 91-93 do not have it. Some calif specific 93's may have it though.
There would be no benefit to adding it. Your 91 ECU doesn't have the programming for it either.

Back