overfilled autotrans, easy way to un-overfill it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

overfilled autotrans, easy way to un-overfill it?

manchu92

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I replaced the transmission fluid pan gasket cause it was leaking. Its nice and dry now. but when i was refilling the transmission, I accidentally put too much fluid back in and there's no drain plug. there's the two holes in the dip stick, then a hash marked area above that. My fluid level is about 1/4" above the hash marks. Do I even need to worry about it? If I do, how do I drain off a little bit of fluid without taking the pan off? thats what I get for being in a hurry.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have an aux. cooler in front of the radiator for the tranny, disconnect the return line and run the engine for like 5 seconds or so.. Or remove the return line at the radiator and do the same..

In my opinion you don't need to worry about it if its only 1/4 of a QT over.

you are checking the fluid level while its running right?

yes.. checked it while hot, at idle, in park as per dip stick's instructions. good idea with the cooler line. I didn't think of that. I didn't flush the system when i changed the gasket so I didn't have that apart. Maybe I'll run a couple quarts through while I'm at it to clean it out a bit more.

I did the same thing when I changed the filter . I just took off the cooler line and pumped a little out. If you have some extra fluid it never hurts to flush some out.

I wouldnt worry about it, mines been filled over the hash marks since i bought it, I even made the same mistake as you and overfilled a little again on my last trans filter change, 180k and still shifting solid with no slip.

Back