• Register Today It's free!

Dirty fuel

socialDK

Reaction score
City, State
san jose,ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xl
I changed my fuel filter this weekend and the fuel coming out of it was so dirty it was black. Is this normal? I dont know how old that filter was. I just ran some seafoam it the tank a few fill ups ago. Is there a cleaner that will fix this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well you put a new filter in. You could run that filter for a few mos then change it again.

Well you put a new filter in. You could run that filter for a few mos then change it again.

Change it again? OMG do you know how hard it was the first time? One of the metal teeth holding the filter female end in was crimped over the filter lip and wouldne let go. i couldnt get the tool in. Thanks for the tip, thats what ill do.

A word of warning

Warning! Do not use Fram fuel filters. I had two fail, the second one a couple of weeks ago. (I didn't learn my lesson). I'm going to order a couple of Motorcraft filters from FPN. Something inside the Fram filter breaks and sends dirty fuel into the system which fouls the fuel injectors, and might even mess up the pressure regulator. The symptoms are rough idle and a total loss of power. I've been able to cure it by replacing the filter and adding fuel injector cleaner plus Marvel Mystery Oil with every fill-up, but takes weeks before the truck runs right again. I was afraid that I would have to replace the fuel injectors, but she's coming back to life.

Yes, I also saw that the gas coming out of the filter input was pretty dirty. When the sediment settled out, it looked like mud. Maybe it's just in the gas or maybe dirt kicked up by the right rear tire is getting into the the fuel fill hose where it joins the filler neck.

I'm dating myself, but we have had dirty or watered gas ever since the great gas shortage of 1974. Originally, there was no recommend replacement interval for the fuel filter, but a Ford dealer told me some years ago that they now recommend annual replacement.

Bob

+1 on using Motorcraft fuel filters!

Thats all that will ever go into my Ex and my Mustang. I'm not a fan of Fram anything.

Napa, Carquest.. Wix makes excellent filters.

A lot of what comes out of the filter when you shake it downwards isn't the same as what comes out when it's installed and fuel passes through it.

Keep in mind that cruddy gasoline that has contaminants, rust particles from the fuel filler tube, fuel pump assembly, and any other metal parts, all wind up in there.

Changing the fuel filter whenever it's practical and easy (i.e. transmission work, radius arm bushing replacement, etc.) goes a long way towards a well-running engine, though it's also a good idea to use a magnet and get any loose rust out of the fuel tank whenever replacing the fuel pump/in tank filter to catch the larger pieces before they can break up and make their way into the fuel filter.

Back