Whats the normal sound from the fuel pump? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whats the normal sound from the fuel pump?

manchu92

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
First sorry for all the posts from me. In going over my newly purchased 91' xlt and have been uncovering the occasional issue that needs addressed. Well just a few days ago i noticed the whine of the fuel pump. It sounds like a healthy motor, a constant, even whine. Not sure if thats normal and i just haven't noticed it before or it suddenly got louder. I did put some Lucas Oil fuel system treatment in a tank of gas ago. Could a dirty filter cause more noise from the pump because of restriction? If i change the filert, do I need that fuel filter tool i've seen people mention here, or is that just newer models? If I need it, where do I get one?

the filter tool makes it alot easier,
you should only really notice the fuel pump right when you turn the batt on, you just hear a humm for a few seconds, its easy to hear if you turn the batt on without immediately starting the truck.

after that initial pump to insure pressure in the system, you shouldnt be able to notice the pump

from my experiance with mine is that after i installed my first one it went bad 3 days after i installed ( turn the key on and got a really bad warble like sound that was drugged out ) .

new pump ...turn the key on and all you should hear is a sorta high pitched "whirr" then off ...then start the truck.

rileyrs is kinda right ...you should not be able to hear the pump running while the engine is running,if you do then look into the fuel filter like you said ( the lack of proper flow of gas and pressure is makeing the pump run more than it should imo. the fuel line tools can be bought anywhere really ...i got mine at advance auto ( small metal / alum one ..red and gold ones ) about $8 each....just make sure that when you begin to use the line tools to get some carb spray to spray into the area that the tool goes to.road grime and dirt will fill in the area the tool has to slide under to release the catch hard to remove and besides ... would you rather have, a nice clean part to work with or haveing a rather large piece of dirt find it's way into the fuel line ( i know the filter would catch it but still . . . . . . . ) ?

To answer your first question, yes. A dirty fuel filter will cause greater back pressure on the fuel pump and when it primes, when you first turn the key on, the whining sound it makes will get louder than with a clean filter.

Back