• Register Today It's free!

My 94 limited will not start.

metallica1283

Reaction score
City, State
North Reading Mass
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 limited RIP, 93 XLT
Hey new here, I have 94 Explorer limited that will not start. i was wondering if you can help me please?! my truck wont turn over, i can hear the solenoid on the front passenger fender click and pretty sure i can hear the stater solenoid also the fender one has a strong spark i haven't worked on it in a while but i know that it ran fine before i acquired it my brother had it it sat he tryed to jump it with a jump pack and now nothing happens when i turn the key, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

start simple, clean your battery cable ends, and post on the battery, i had a similiar problem on my X, and a $5 cleaner from napa, and di-electric grease fixed all my start/electric problems.

if this doesnt work then come back and ill try to help from there

start simple, clean your battery cable ends, and post on the battery, i had a similiar problem on my X, and a $5 cleaner from napa, and di-electric grease fixed all my start/electric problems.

if this doesnt work then come back and ill try to help from there

In addition to this, I recommend you check and clean all the connections on the starter solenoid switch on the passanger fender across from the air filter box and on the starter its self.

I had the exact same problem a few times, first time around cleaning all the connections everywhere corrected the problem, second time I replaced the solenoid switch (only like $15) and havent had a problem since.

Thanks for the ideas, i dont think its the starter itself i replaced that but ill try all the other ideas

The battery cables on the 1st gens are known for internal corrosion issues that you can't see from the outside. Everything on the vehicle will work, but it won't turn over. You can diagnose it by checking the resistance of the cable end-to-end. If it's more than a couple ohms, it's corroded and needs to be replaced.

Back