Anyone know how to test a wiper motor? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone know how to test a wiper motor?

Alaskanredneck

Reaction score
City, State
Newman Lake, WASHINGTON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLS
:usa:So I got a rear wiper motor from a junk yard and i want to test it before i install it. I have had a broken one for 2 years and i have missed it so much. I clipped the wiring harness for the motor when i was taking it out of the junker. There is a red, black, and white wire but i don't know what is pos and ground. so Does anyone know if i can test it before i tear everything apart. also if anyone has any tips on taking the trim off without breaking it that would be helpful too!:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

all i know about those things is... they will shock you if you mess with them the wrong way!
</pointless post>
:D

Thanks very helpful lol I'll try to make sure I hook it up the right way!!! :))

also is there a way to keep it from going bad again? I hear hat its very common for them to go bad.

I have owned 5 or 6 Explorers...and never had one go bad.

I would say it is NOT a common weak point on the Explorer...

Ryan

i had to swap mine out when i bought my explorer. i think thay cannot handle the snow.... i took mine apart and its a worm gear off the motor and the wiper has a big round gear.....the wiper arm gear was all stripped like it got stuck down and the motors worm gear just pulled all the teeth off.

as for removing the panel and all that.....its pretty straight forward...just be carefull with the plastic tree clips on the top....i broke a couple of mine.

did you test the new one you put in before hand i just dont want to tell my wife im gonna be out there fixing this thing and have it not work lol guess its a pride thing.

nope. i just went down to the junk yard and pulled on all the wiper arms i could find till i found one that didnt move(meaning it wasnt stripped) and took it home and slapped it in mine. really if it doesnt work...youre out 5 bucks and a half hour of work time....go get another one. as long as you get one that isnt stripped it should work fine

Hook a power wire to it and see what happens. It won't shock you unless your using your tounge or something to hold it on there, you should be fine.. Speaking of that, mines also burnt up been meaning to replace that haha..

Well thats the thing theres a red, white, and black wire so what do i hook up where i think im just gonna hook it up.

Back