• Register Today It's free!

Need camber kit help!

ReinIse

Reaction score
City, State
Huntsville, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 4.0L SOHC V6 Explorer
i'm about to have to get new tires already because i didnt buy a camber kit when i lowered my ex. big 10 tires wants to charge me 50 bucks for the front and 50 for the back camber kit and then 150 to install it all. anyone know a cheaper route? i have no idea what a camber kit even looks like so i really don't know what to search for on the internet, any links to a product page where theres camber kits for an 04 explorer would be appreciated.

i tried ebay but i wasnt really sure what i was looking for. i just typed in "explorer camber" and it came up with a bunch of crap that i didnt recognize lol.

any help will be much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For the second gen Explorer (95-01), the after-market camber adjuster kit looks like this:

387462.jpg

For the second gen Explorer (95-01), the after-market camber adjuster kit looks like this:

387462.jpg

hmm that doesn't look like the camber kits i've seen for the explorers, this looks very simple and cheap. how much is this and where did you find it?

well the only camber kit i can find is made by Eibach, which is a respectable brand but i cant tell if its just universal or actually made to fit my explorer.
http://www.coolcarpartsonline.com/s...01-04-eibach-pro-alignment-camber-kit-p-19869

thats it^^^ what do you think?

my local tire store is going to charge over 700 for parts/labor(including some kind of camber/caster kit) and alignment. does that sound like a good deal? i was trying to do this job for less than 500.

is a camber kit hard to install?

Oh holy crap I just realized you have a 3rd gen!

Sneak under your vehicle and take a few pics of where the upper A-arms bolt to the chassis. Then we'll be able to tell what kit you need.

i'm about to have to get new tires already because i didnt buy a camber kit when i lowered my ex. big 10 tires wants to charge me 50 bucks for the front and 50 for the back camber kit and then 150 to install it all. anyone know a cheaper route? i have no idea what a camber kit even looks like so i really don't know what to search for on the internet, any links to a product page where theres camber kits for an 04 explorer would be appreciated.

i tried ebay but i wasnt really sure what i was looking for. i just typed in "explorer camber" and it came up with a bunch of crap that i didnt recognize lol.

any help will be much appreciated.

you shouldn't need cam kits. I just installed Ground force springs and got the truck realigned. The specs were within range and mine has 22's. Will send pics of truck and of spec sheet if needed. Just got it aligned yesterday.

you shouldn't need cam kits. I just installed Ground force springs and got the truck realigned. The specs were within range and mine has 22's. Will send pics of truck and of spec sheet if needed. Just got it aligned yesterday.

well when i got my tires the first time i got them aligned the guy said everything was fine but 10 months later the inside of my tires are to the wires and the outside look brand new. what else would that be besides camber?

Oh holy crap I just realized you have a 3rd gen!

Sneak under your vehicle and take a few pics of where the upper A-arms bolt to the chassis. Then we'll be able to tell what kit you need.

i'll try, but its lowered, so its kinda hard to get under there without jacking it up

i would think it should be fine i had mine lowered on the 20s for a bit and i didn't have an issue with my alignment hmm. i think its one of those one "out out of a few explorers" have this issue. i would say thats not a bad deal for that camber kit that they were gonna sell you at the shop. hell i dumped almost 500 bucks for a camber kit when i slammed my m3

M3front1.jpg

well when i got my tires the first time i got them aligned the guy said everything was fine but 10 months later the inside of my tires are to the wires and the outside look brand new. what else would that be besides camber?

It sounds like you have worn out ball joints. Either that or the guy that did the alignment got you. I have worked in alignment shops for years and now I'm in collision. There is ways to make a "passing" alignment spec printout. Usually the only reason you would need a cam kit is if you mod the suspension and can't get it within specs. If it aligns CORRECTLY then you should be fine. You do have a camber issue but without seeing the truck and knowing the people working on it, its hard to say what the cause is.

i would think it should be fine i had mine lowered on the 20s for a bit and i didn't have an issue with my alignment hmm. i think its one of those one "out out of a few explorers" have this issue. i would say thats not a bad deal for that camber kit that they were gonna sell you at the shop. hell i dumped almost 500 bucks for a camber kit when i slammed my m3

M3front1.jpg

dude thats a sick m3, m3's and m6's are some of my favorite cars. thats gorgeous...

It sounds like you have worn out ball joints. Either that or the guy that did the alignment got you. I have worked in alignment shops for years and now I'm in collision. There is ways to make a "passing" alignment spec printout. Usually the only reason you would need a cam kit is if you mod the suspension and can't get it within specs. If it aligns CORRECTLY then you should be fine. You do have a camber issue but without seeing the truck and knowing the people working on it, its hard to say what the cause is.

hmm well thats funny you say that because top line tires said they couldn't align my wheels (this past week when i got my new tires on) because my "front end is about to fall off and the rear is pretty close" so he quoted me for 1500 dollars worth the suspension parts, ball joints, tie rods, wheel hub bearings. the guy said that i have an inch of play in my ball joints and its not safe to drive. i definitely had to get a second opinion. my friends dad is a mechanic and sent me to his good friend at a local tire shop. he told me the guys at top line lied to me. he said that i have normal wear and tear on my suspension but nothing worth replacing right now. he didn't say i do or dont need a camber kit though, but he did say he'd install it and stuff for over $700. i had my dad look at it to see what he thought, he said i probably need new ball joints... i just have no idea what i REALLY need now...all i want to do is drive my car and not mess my tires up...why must this be so difficult!?

hmm well thats funny you say that because top line tires said they couldn't align my wheels (this past week when i got my new tires on) because my "front end is about to fall off and the rear is pretty close" so he quoted me for 1500 dollars worth the suspension parts, ball joints, tie rods, wheel hub bearings. the guy said that i have an inch of play in my ball joints and its not safe to drive. i definitely had to get a second opinion. my friends dad is a mechanic and sent me to his good friend at a local tire shop. he told me the guys at top line lied to me. he said that i have normal wear and tear on my suspension but nothing worth replacing right now. he didn't say i do or dont need a camber kit though, but he did say he'd install it and stuff for over $700. i had my dad look at it to see what he thought, he said i probably need new ball joints... i just have no idea what i REALLY need now...all i want to do is drive my car and not mess my tires up...why must this be so difficult!?

Well if you want to start out with the ball joints, and are mechanically inclined, you can do the uppers yourself....check my sig for a How To on doing them.

As per the $700 quote to install suspension components for the front and rear, I would assume that means you still provide the parts...you have a lot more than $700 in parts just in the front :thumbsup:

Well if you want to start out with the ball joints, and are mechanically inclined, you can do the uppers yourself....check my sig for a How To on doing them.

As per the $700 quote to install suspension components for the front and rear, I would assume that means you still provide the parts...you have a lot more than $700 in parts just in the front :thumbsup:

no no no 700+ for camber kit and installation

1500 for all the suspension stuff i supposedly have to have or my wheels are going to fall off (not including camber kit)

my friend told me his civic ball joints were pretty hard to replace, and his dad told me he replaced the balljoints on his towncar and said it was extremely difficult.

do you think that if i replaced the ball joints (assuming they really do need to be replaced) that i won't need a camber kit?

no no no 700+ for camber kit and installation

1500 for all the suspension stuff i supposedly have to have or my wheels are going to fall off (not including camber kit)

my friend told me his civic ball joints were pretty hard to replace, and his dad told me he replaced the balljoints on his towncar and said it was extremely difficult.

do you think that if i replaced the ball joints (assuming they really do need to be replaced) that i won't need a camber kit?

If all of the parts in your front end are tight then no, you shouldnt need the kit. People don't realize the different a tight front end will make. Just replace them and you should be fine. At the least your steering will be alot tighter. :thumbsup:

If all of the parts in your front end are tight then no, you shouldnt need the kit. People don't realize the different a tight front end will make. Just replace them and you should be fine. At the least your steering will be alot tighter. :thumbsup:

well i don't have 1500 dollars.... :(

whats an economically friendly solution?

dude thats a sick m3, m3's and m6's are some of my favorite cars. thats gorgeous...

thanks bud yeah i miss my M but now i have the mounty and its much more fun in the winter lol.

why don't you just jack up your truck and feel for play? do you hear/feel any clicking when you go around turns or hit any bumps. what about any abnormal noises?

thanks bud yeah i miss my M but now i have the mounty and its much more fun in the winter lol.

why don't you just jack up your truck and feel for play? do you hear/feel any clicking when you go around turns or hit any bumps. what about any abnormal noises?

jacked it up last night, didnt see anything suspicious. the only noise i hear is when i'm going 70+ my car starts to vibrate, and the faster i go the worse it gets. i know this is an alignment issue, but idk if it's a camber issue also.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

jacked it up last night, didnt see anything suspicious. the only noise i hear is when i'm going 70+ my car starts to vibrate, and the faster i go the worse it gets. i know this is an alignment issue, but idk if it's a camber issue also.

the vibrating is most likely a tire issue and not an alignment issue. unless the alignment wore your tires and caused them to shake but either way the vibration is from the tires

Back