HELP!!! CV shaft won't budge from pumpkin.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP!!! CV shaft won't budge from pumpkin..

rzimmerl

Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT AWD V8
I was going to replace my leaking axle seal today. But I cannot get the axle to come out of the pumpkin. I had the knuckle off and detatched from the axle. I tried for an hour with prybars on many different spots and still wont budge. I cant get the circlip to go past the bevel on the gear. I know Ford makes a special tool to pop the shaft out but is it really needed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hammer and pry
you may try putting it back in fully and giving it a YANK, like seriously a BIG PULL

If that doesnt work, longer breaker bar, bigger hammer

They get stuck in there

You may also try rotating it ALOT and pulling up down, left, right, etc
you get the idea

There is no place to swing a hammer to knock it out. IF I yank hard on the axle, will that not just rely on the inner boot to pull it out? I had 2 30 inch prybars on at the same time at 2 spots and wouldn't budge. It didn't even start to compress the cirlip. I finally started to damage the outside flange on the diff case where the seal mates up to so I called it quits for the day.

compress the what? I am not familiar with the "circlip" you are talking about, some sort of retainer?
what vehicle is this on?

Funny I just did two cv shafts on a 97 sploder yesterday, they slid right off by hand! First time I have been that lucky

Had one on a Dodge Dakota year or so ago, gave us FITS
a HAMMER is what got it off, I used a pry bar shaped like a N sord of, so one end goes over the CV, the other end is out in the air so you can take a swing at it.
Does that make sense?

30" pry bar may not be enough :) LOL seriously!

Some vehicles the CV does not just slide out

Its an '03 Explorer rear half shaft. They have a circlip that gets compressed as they slide on the bevel thats machined into the spider gears when removed. My 8.8 Tbird half shafts are the same design.

I have a small leak in the rear, its not the differential fluid although it drips onto the differential housing. It's a clear thin fluid, not that dark fluid from the differential. It's also not brake fluid. Could it be the actual axle leaking? I've been driving it since May and i always see a new spot in the driveway. Any suggestions or warnings would help ! LOL

You dont want to yank too hard on your halfshafts. I have been there, and it simply pulls your CV joints apart, bad stuff there. I have used rope wound around the axle and coming out both sides at the pumpkin, then putting my feet up against the inner fender well and rowing/yanking back to get them out (of an 8.8 Tbird SC) That will ensure you pull on the shaft closest to the diff. Just beware where the other end of the shaft goes.....:(

I feel your pain man! Going through the same thing right now! Just checked the site for other ideas. I made a special tool that looks just like the Ford tool but that is just destroying the seal. Let me know if you find something that works.

uhh i got the same problem on a 91 X. Cant get the driver side axle shaft out. ive tried everything. including wrappin a chain around it and hookin it to my truck= Bad Idea. lol. its on a parts explorer so i jus said forget it.

My friend and long time Ford Tech. just takes a long prybar and from the inside (Diff) going out to the axle, hammers the backside of the mount for the wheel and the shafts come out pretty easy. Just hold it up so it comes out straight (takes two people) and you should not have to much trouble getting them out.

Back