2000 Explorer with some questions. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer with some questions.

true66gt

Reaction score
City, State
california
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xls
i just bought a 2000 xls from my aunt 150k miles 4x4 auto. bone stock.

last night it was raining so i went wheeling through a muddy trail. and i have to admit it did WAY better than i thought. not quite as fun as my old xj, but its got potential. i got home and my brake lights were not working. i have tail lights and blinkers, but no brake lights.

second, what can i do to the rear to make it stop sagging? eventually i want to put a 2" lift, so if i need new springs and shocks, then ill just wait.

also, i just took off the running boards, makes it look a little bigger. i read on here that the biggest tire i can run with stock height is 31x10.5, which is a 265/75/15. anyone have any pictures of stock height explorers with 31's?

and i know the trannys are notorious for taking *****. bad design i guess. any tips on how to make them last as long as possible? im trying to baby it because of the 150k miles. thanks

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 95-01 section. You could add a transmission cooler, deep transmission pan with cooling tubes, synthetic fluid, and an external transmission filter. Don't tow in overdrive. A transmission temperature gauge is a good thing to add.

If none of the brake lights work, it's probably a problem with your brake light switch. Also, check associated fuses.

ah i was wondering where this thread went haha.

i fixed the brakes. it was a bad connection on the brake pedal switch.

i did some reading on lifting. once i get tires i will make some shackles on CNC and do the AAL and TT. but where can i get a leaf?

Back