• Register Today It's free!

New here with some questions.

kovacs32

Reaction score
City, State
Milan, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer AWD
Im new to the forum but have owned my 98 Eddie Bauer for nearly 3 years now and it just turned over 202k and feels like it doesnt even have 30k on it. It's got the 5.0 with AWD and I absolutely love the truck! It is super comfy for me and i love the power and ride, especially in Michigan winters! However, i had a few quick questions that i am sure are very common...

1: My rear suspension is sagging a good 2+ inches from where it should be, whats the best fix and how much?

2: Although the exhaust is in okay shape for the miles, it's starting to sound "flappy" I was going to get a MAC catback, but apparently they are out of stock and dont plan to make anymore....what are my options here?

3: its time for new shocks, what are the best economical choices?

thanks!
Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you get an answer??? Im driving the same rig. Mine has 125g. Almost shied away till I drove it.. OMG. Mine doesnt sag, but im not loving the "spongey" feel of the shocks. Have yoiu replaced yours yet?

Im new to the forum but have owned my 98 Eddie Bauer for nearly 3 years now and it just turned over 202k and feels like it doesnt even have 30k on it. It's got the 5.0 with AWD and I absolutely love the truck! It is super comfy for me and i love the power and ride, especially in Michigan winters! However, i had a few quick questions that i am sure are very common...

1: My rear suspension is sagging a good 2+ inches from where it should be, whats the best fix and how much?

2: Although the exhaust is in okay shape for the miles, it's starting to sound "flappy" I was going to get a MAC catback, but apparently they are out of stock and dont plan to make anymore....what are my options here?

3: its time for new shocks, what are the best economical choices?

thanks!
Ryan

there are a lot of half ass ways to fix explorer sag including what I did which is add air load leveling shocks, but the best way it to replace the leaf springs with aftermarket sightly heavier springs

if you hear an exhaust "tick" like I do, replacing the cat back will not handle this issue, you need to remove the manifolds have them decked and put back on with new gaskets. in my case, I'm holding out for headers as this will help performance

any good shock from autozone, I used Gabriel golds in the front and middle price range air leveling shocks in the rear, understand that if you stiffen the levelers you will feel it in your ass

sweet!

Ive gone to auto zone, pep boys and napa. they all want me to tell them if its an air shock, air asst suspension, or stock non assist shocks?:eek: I DONT KNOW lol. Its an Eb with on board air, it does try to self level,,,,, so is it air assit, electric asst, non asst? please help an old man..... ooo that hurt. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Napa has a kit for a dynomax cat back exhaust for the 5.0's. It comes with the muffler, tailpipe, hardware and chrome tip for about $350.

Back