how to remove rear door when its broke. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how to remove rear door when its broke.

Xplorer82

Reaction score
City, State
TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Mountaineer 4.6L
and Yes i searched. read thru many many threads and my problem is not with the yellow plastic pieces or springs, ect anymore.

i removed my door trim (driver side rear), got inside there and tried to unlock/open it by pulling/pushing on the little arms inside the door. nothing is working, it is all rusty in there. i tried to get a few good pictures of inside there and only got one or two (below). i am kind of stuck, like what to do next.

in my quest i removed the bolts from the door jam and tried to "wiggle" anything loose, nothing.

how can i remove this door so i can replace it? i think i am going to cut some of the door frame off tomorrow to gain more access inside there where the door latch is and see where that goes unless someone has a tip up their sleeve.

(click to enlarge)

th_door018.jpg

th_door014.jpg

th_door016.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hmm, never been down that road. the first thing i would do is blast everything with some penetrating lube like PB Blaster or Nut Buster or something along those lines. no, WD-40 does not count! let that soak all night or all day or whatever and see if it will break free enough to get the door open. if thats all thats wrong with that door you might be able to save it.

hmm, never been down that road. the first thing i would do is blast everything with some penetrating lube like PB Blaster or Nut Buster or something along those lines. no, WD-40 does not count! let that soak all night or all day or whatever and see if it will break free enough to get the door open. if thats all thats wrong with that door you might be able to save it.

thanks for the reply. im not trying to save the door anymore. im replacing it because most of the arms broke off inside there plus the bottom of the doors are getting rusty (im sure the one stuck is too cause i can see it on the outside crease. i just need to get this sucker off.

im sure i'll figure something out tomorrow when i cut some area away to see/get in there. i was just looking to see if anyone had any advise before hand..

i shot it w/PB blaster before i came in for the night, will hit it in the a.m. too. thanks.

thanks man.

well still looking for suggestions.

i tried again today and nothing still. my air line coupler broke in the middle of cutting some of the door off and i wasnt able to get to harbor freight, but i did manage to get some more room in there, but couldnt get anything to release.

so im still up for suggestions till i get to harbor freight and grab some couplers .

anyone think prying slowly on the inside might pop that latch open or something? anyone had to do that before at least?

i really doubt you will pry the door lock open. ever seen the jaws of life? thats what it takes to break open a door.

Take the panel off a working door to see what needs to be moved in order to release the latch mechanism....then give it a boot from the inside.

Take the panel off a working door to see what needs to be moved in order to release the latch mechanism....then give it a boot from the inside.

yeah i inspected the other side (door) and also took the driver side rear wall panel off and took a look at the space behind the door striker. after looking at both i think i know what needs to be done.

well still looking for suggestions.

i tried again today and nothing still. my air line coupler broke in the middle of cutting some of the door off and i wasnt able to get to harbor freight, but i did manage to get some more room in there, but couldnt get anything to release.

so im still up for suggestions till i get to harbor freight and grab some couplers .

anyone think prying slowly on the inside might pop that latch open or something? anyone had to do that before at least?

yeah your not gunna pry it open thoses door studs that the lock grabs on to are made not to release unless unlatched which i can see your in no position to do but i would cut open the door when you get the new couplers and go from there

Try a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF fluid on the rusted parts. If that doesn't work try maybe a mapp gas torch setup and get them red hot and see if you can move the mechanics of the door.
Some of you might appreciate this. Machinist's Workshop magazine tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts.

They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist, Bud Baker.

They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

Penetrating oil ..... Average load

None ...................... 516 pounds

WD-40 ................... 238 pounds

PB Blaster ............... 214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ......... 127 pounds

Kano Kroil .............. 106 pounds

ATF-Acetone mix.......53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one particular test. Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.

sorry, i wish i saw this a few days ago. there is a small hole in about the center of the back of the latch that you can stick a screw driver or small pick into and twist. the door will pop right open. took me about 3 hours to find on mine but after i tried the other side it poped right open too. i'll see if i can take some pics and upload them so nobody else has to cut their doors apart.

sorry, i wish i saw this a few days ago. there is a small hole in about the center of the back of the latch that you can stick a screw driver or small pick into and twist. the door will pop right open. took me about 3 hours to find on mine but after i tried the other side it poped right open too. i'll see if i can take some pics and upload them so nobody else has to cut their doors apart.

cool thanks for that tip. i will be sure to look for that 2morrow. :thumbsup:

just tossed together a quick "how to" thread. I hope it helps. sorry for not doing it earlier.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268003

thanks for the how to & pics. unfortunately my still wouldnt open, but i did see what you meant with the write up. i saw how it wanted to open but the otherside of the latch wouldnt budge. i got to a point i just started prying at everything & got room to unscrew the striker and.............

th_0127000019.jpg

th_0127000015.jpg

th_0127000016a.jpg

th_0127000016.jpg

new doors here we come.

i know it's a little late now but did you try spraying the latch with penetrating oil? maybe that's why mine opened right up.

yea i sprayed it w/PB and a few others, i was going to try that acetone mix the guy above mentioned but i just started prying and finally got to the striker and unscrewed it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back