• Register Today It's free!

bw 4405 to bw1350m swap

wisekise

Reaction score
City, State
kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 sport
after 3 weeks of searching junk yards and backwoods auto parts places i came across a rare manual shift 1350 with a fixed front yoke. i was searching for a 1354m but after my ex being down for three weeks, i couldnt pass it up.
on to the swap.
on the 1350 i had to do something with the hole for the speedo sensor. so i took some 1/8" flat stock and cut out a piece to match the curve of the case. this ended up giving me some problems but ill get to that later. i then used black rtv to seal the plate over the hole
IMG00004-20100403-1034.jpg

and i did remove the shop towel, it was just there while i was using the wire wheel

IMG00019-20100403-1056.jpg

while the gasket was curing i removed the rear driveshaft from the 4405 and removed 4 out of 5 bolts holding it to the transmission and then had my brother help me take it down. this is a 2 person job. once it was on the table i had to remove the rear flange to put on the 1350 so my driveshaft would bolt up.

30mm12pointoutput.jpg

the nut for the flange on the 4405 and the yoke on the 1350 takes a 30mm socket but it needs to be a 12 point to fit inside the yoke on the 1350.

i then cleaned up the fill and drain plugs and filled it with fluid, then i cleaned and prepped the surface that mates to the transmission for rtv since no auto parts stores carry the gasket that came off. apparently it is a dealer only item.

IMG00032-20100403-1444.jpg

the bolts that thread into tcase are different between the 1350 and 4405, so the bottom bolt that i couldnt completelyremove because of the transmission crossmember, had to come out to be replaced by the bolts that came with the 1350(thank god they were included!) so after removal and replacement of the xmember and the bolt i was ready to install the 1350.
oh the top pass side bolt is a PITA, but with my body lift it wasnt too horrible
once installed i went to put the driveshaft back on and noticed that the 4 bolts stick through the back of the flange just enough to hit the piece of flat stock covering the speedo sensor hole. so instead of taking it off and letting more rtv set up, i just took the bolts and removed 2 threads with a cut off wheel and no problems.
i did not install the linkage yet, i am just happy to be driving the ex again. i wouldnt have 4wheel drive any as i removed the front pumpkin in my search for the clank in the drivetrain which ended up being the pos 4405
i have the linkage from another 1350 and i will do a writeup of that in this thread when i can.
some extra pics

IMG00006-20100403-1035.jpg

IMG00022-20100403-1103.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats not a STX fixed flange case. Thats a regular 1350m with part of the driveshaft still in front output. The STX case used the same bolt on yoke on the front output that was on the rear output in the pics. I'll get you some pics of the 2 I have.

son of a b!tch! after more surfing i found a pic from here http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14617&highlight=1350+fixed+yoke
1350 fixed yoke on left 1354e on right

real fixed yoke 1350.jpg

i did not remove the boot on the front output because it didnt budge when i gave it hell. i assumed it was fixed. but that is just my luck. could it be that the splines have jammed into the case somehow? in a wreck? maybe some a-hole welded it? good thing i can return it if i decide to.

fwiw my 4405 was not the problem anyway, a day and a half of driving and the clank came back! i would go take the boot off but it is at the transmission shop. FML :mad:

EDIT--i also changed the thread title to avoid confusion and more flaming

EDIT--i also changed the thread title to avoid confusion and more flaming

I wasnt trying to flame you, just trying to inform you. I have seen the yoke jammed on the output before. Ive seen them rust together, ive seen bent yokes cause it, Ive even seen the boot holding it together.
You may be able to use that case, if you can find a driveshaft that will work.

BTW: Thats a 1354E on the right.

I wasnt trying to flame you, just trying to inform you. I have seen the yoke jammed on the output before. Ive seen them rust together, ive seen bent yokes cause it, Ive even seen the boot holding it together.
You may be able to use that case, if you can find a driveshaft that will work.

BTW: Thats a 1354E on the right.

That wasn't directed at you, sorry. I just felt like a dumbass for making a hasty decision because of the difficulty of finding a 1354m and not having a my ex to drive for 3 weeks. I could use it bcause it came with the driveshaft, but I plan on doing a sas in the near future and don't know how the stuck slip yoke will work out in that application.

Back