Will BW1350 or BW1354 mount to 5R55E? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will BW1350 or BW1354 mount to 5R55E?

kymadan

Reaction score
City, State
Eustis, Fla
Year, Model & Trim Level
'87 4x4 Ranger
Will the 5R55E transmission bolt up to a Borg Warner 1350 or BW1354 transfer case?

I was told.....
"I believe your 1350 will bolt up fine. On the explorer board you here of guys dumping the control trac t-case for the 1354 manual.

You should be fine for bolt up then."

The guy who told me this knows his shyt, but he is not completely sure of this. I figured I would ask here since there are a lot of explorer owners here. Would any adapters be needed, or modifications have to be done?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes it will bolt in. If you're going to a manual you won't have to worry about the shift motor or anything. I assume that's what you're wanting to do?

I've never heard of anyone going from an auto 4405 to an auto 1354.

I want to hook it up to my manual BW1350 transfer case.

Now if I end up getting a 2wd 5R55E, I will have to change the tailshaft to the 4x4 5R55E.... Correct?

Yes. Which I believe requires taking the output shaft out as well. But I am not 100% on that one.

Yes. Which I believe requires taking the output shaft out as well. But I am not 100% on that one.

gorrect...the 1354 is built for the ex...the 1350 is lighter duty....

Well thanks section525, that clears that up...... Does anyone know if the output shaft would have to be taken out? Or does anyone know how to find out? I know the hard way to find out, but is there an easier way? :D

Doesn't the 1354 have straps on the yoke or something like that? Isn't that the weak point of those transfer cases?

its your lucky day, thats what i did:D

Your sig say manual! :p: :D

Doesn't the 1354 have straps on the yoke or something like that? Isn't that the weak point of those transfer cases?

I've read the 1350 and 1354 are virtually the same tcase. But the 1350 has the cone deal on the front which limits driveshaft angle on rigs that can get a lot of front axle droop.

Yeah, I do not see any difference in the gearing. They are both chain driven, and the main reason the chain breaks is from lack of maintenance, not too much power. I'll keep the 1350... after all I already have it! I just hope the 5R55E mounts to the same holes as the old A4LD, or is at least the same length. Here is the post where I am trying to get the length, and other specs.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185025

Well thanks section525, that clears that up...... Does anyone know if the output shaft would have to be taken out? Or does anyone know how to find out? I know the hard way to find out, but is there an easier way? :D

A change from a 2wd 5r55e to a 4WD 5R55E requires that the output shaft be removed and replaced with a 4WD version. The output shaft is the first thing into a case during build, and the last thing out. It requires a TOTAL teardown of the tranny to change it out. No easy way.

Well there goes the idea of using that tranny!

You want a 1354 over 1350. From what I understand, that 1350 front cone has a u-joint inside it. When it goes out...You gotta tare apart the t-case. The 1354 has the u-joint on the outside.;)

Back