8.8 Aussie Center clearance

little x

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
SW VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XL
I just finished installing my new-to-me Aussie locker in the 8.8. Everything looks good, and it's operating as it should. But, the center clearance is only .140, instead of the .145-.170 it should be. Perhaps caused by used springs? Since it seems ok I was planning on buttoning up the rear end, unless anyone thinks it's a bad idea. I don't really want to take this thing apart and put it back together again just for .005", but if I NEED to I will. I'd just like to find out before I use $5 in RTV and $45 in gear oil.

BTW, install wasn't a walk in the park, but it wasn't too bad. A few hours and a few beers and everything worked out. I've cracked open the diff to change fluids before but I've never touched anything. I was quite happy with my first experience.

As a note to any one who reads this who is about to install an Aussie: When they say to put the pins in the square holes with the nipples facing out. That means put the nipple side in the hole, it faces the outside of the diff, not the outside of the hole. I had to change all of mine, luckily there is just barely enough room to get-r-done without pulling everything out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

iirc mine wasnt quite in the spec range either, it was way close but i think i was on the tight side as well. i havent gotten to really wheel it yet, but i know it works, so i wouldnt be overly concerned.

unless someone chimes in otherwise, then were both in trouble... :p:

maybe Mountaineergreen or Turdle will see this and chime in,. they installed the one in my rear diff, they would know,,

But, the center clearance is only .140, instead of the .145-.170 it should be.

This is a flaw in the Aussie for the 8.8 (but no other axle it seems), they all are tight. I put one in and got the same clearance. Less than 10k miles later it was in the trash, all the teeth worn/ground down and not engaging. There's a big thread about Aussie failures somewhere on here.

I installed an aussie a LONG time ago, it's been in there for years and the teeth look great. I'm not running that axle anymore due to a blown shaft BUT I had the exact same problem. Since it was such a new product, I contacted their tech rep and took a bunch of measurements for him. What we ended up doing was getting those thrust washers on both sides and getting them surface ground by a machine shop to bring the gap into specs. In your case, if there's enough meat on those thrust washers, get them machined .003" on each one.

I just ordered a set of Aussies for my Ex... Does this mean theres a good chance my rear will be sucky as well? If I have to get parts machined that's pretty lame on Aussies part... have you heard if they are planning a fix for this?

And does anyone know the link the the Aussie Failure thread?

damarble's comment was the first negative comment I've ever herd about aussies. I searched for the "failure thread" after he mentioned it, but never found it (that doesn't mean it doesn't exist).
Mine has been functioning flawlessly ever since I installed it. I have nothing but good things to say about their product at this point.

My center clearance was also .140 which is about .005 out of spec and it works like it supposed to. Unlocks and locks just fine. Not one problem. Had it all apart a couple weeks ago and everything still looks new.

Installed mine tonight. When I first did it, it was to tight. Like 0.130 for the cam gear gap. I couldn't figure out why.

So I emailed the Aussie locker folks, and in 5 min they replied saying they had sent a text to a technician to call me.

About an hour later, the tech called and told me the thrust washers can warp or crown up, and just to take off a little with some emery cloth. So I got a big square sheet, layed it flat on the work bench and started making circles with the shims. You could see right away they weren't flat and were coned.

He also said not to use assembly grease or lube because it can screw with the tolerances if it's that tight so I washed all the grease off that I had put on,

I threw it all back together and now I'm at about .142 which he said would work fine.

So, I'll get it out tomorrow and see how it works.

Great customer service though!

Back