"welfare" intake = p0171? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"welfare" intake = p0171?

About 6 months ago I installed a K&N cold air intake on my ranger and ever since then I have been getting codes for lean on bank one and lean on bank 2. I have had it tested for vacuum leaks I changed the plugs and wires I had the injectors serviced and i cleaned the MAF. and i still get the errors. the odd part is that they can take up to 500 miles to come back on after they have been cleared at the very least they take a couple hundred miles. I am out of ideas and ready to put the stock air box back on. Any Ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is what i am working with.... it's hood but it works.... $27 and alittle dremel time vs at least $90 up to $279 for the k&n intake...

I did something similar to my 2000 Sport (Akimoto racing air filter and 3 inch diameter filter to MAF adapter) and got OBD Codes for banks 1 & 2 too lean. I disconnected the battery for 10 minutes and the codes cleared and haven't returned but the engine runs poorly from a cold start. I believe the likely explanation is that there is more air entering the MAF and the PCM is not correcting for it. I suspect the only permanent solution is a custom tune.

well I finally fixed my problem turned out it had nothing to do with my air intake. My fuel pump was not creating enough pressure and had to replace it.

Did going back to the stock air box help? I have the same problem right now with a k&n intake system. Changed the maf to now having an egr code PO174 talking about a dpfe sensor going bad. Just wondered if it's easier to switch to the stock intake or replace the dpfe.

I did not have to go back to the stock air box. I had my fuel pump tested (because I am too stupid and/or lazy to do it myself, and because a mechanic owed me one) and it turned out that when I put the K&N on it the extra air flow exposed my failing fuel pump and it started causing lean bank 1 and 2 errors. (It started out only bank 1 but after about a month increased to both banks). So I would suggest getting your fuel pump tested. I am wondering did you pull any other codes? because P0174 is the code for lean bank 2.

Thanks. Obviously I blew past your thread about the fuel pump. It threw up PO171, PO174. Also P1401 about the dpfe sensor. That one is new as of last night. I am going to check the vacuum hoses and then maybe replace that sensor. Is the fuel pump a hard fix? I know most vehicles you have to drop the tank

The fuel isn't really that hard to replace, but it can be very expensive depending on which one you need. I think i paid about 500 or 600 when i replaced mine. this thread has some instructions on how to drop the tank. BTW how many miles do you have on your fuel pump now?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270960&highlight=replace+fuel+pump

Also I really don't know anything about the DPFE but this might help.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/193216-obd2-code-p1401.html

Good luck

Thanks again for your help! I bought this ex with 109K and now have 176.6K. I've never replaced it so it could have that many on it. I'm going to mess with it tomorrow and check the vacuum hoses and change the fuel filter. I've had the check engine light and throwing this code for a long time. I don't want to mention it it's been so long but the only real symptom is lower mpg. I just attributed it to the cold air intake. That makes me think more of the filter. Could the pump last that long in an exhausted state? We'll see!

Intake manifold gaskets

I fixed the issue finally. Thanks to this forum I found out about the gaskets for the intake manifolds and the 00M12 recall. I think the gaskets were the most important but I got the kit from a dealership on a whim for $80-90 but I think you can find it cheaper online but have to wait for it of course. Not too hard of a job thanks to this thread
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261439

Back