• Register Today It's free!

need help with my front end!!!!

domeshot14

Reaction score
City, State
Perrysburg, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
Ok i am getting a nasty clunk/rattle in the front end of my 99 xlt 4x4. it just feels like something is loose. at speeds of ~70mph and up it starts to shake real good, it clunks and rattles nice and loud too over every wussy bump in the road:censored: and of course the ride quality sucks..so much that there are certain roads in my town that i purposely avoid. at times when accelerating it feels like something is grinding, almost like a bad hub. you can feel it in the floor of the truck and a little bit in the pedals and steering wheel. in the brake pedal i can feel a little pulsating (i replaced the front rotors/pads within the last month, and the pulsating was present before the brake job as well, so i've ruled out the brakes) i did break a sway bar link recently which still needs replaced, however even with both good ones it still rode the same, although the broken link would explain SOME of the noise. i have had a handful of mechanics tell me my lower ball joints need replaced. does this sound like the symptoms of bad LBJ's? could it be something else? suspensions are the one thing i know very little about so any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Lower balljoints, upper balljoints, tie-rods and control arm bushings could all have those symptoms.

Lower balljoints, upper balljoints, tie-rods and control arm bushings could all have those symptoms.

Also take a look at the sway bar end links (Know prob with X's)
Then be sure to check your shocks, another know issues is the front drive shaft (from the x-fer case to the front pumpkin (front diff). Look towards the x fer case. If you notice grease slung to the bottom of your X it's due to front drive shaft (also refereed to the Prop shaft. Keep in mind this is not a CV half shaft either. The front's of X's are always a royal pain.

Back