I am new, and I'm looking for information on Explorer driveshafts. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I am new, and I'm looking for information on Explorer driveshafts.

tvail6

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa Ok
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 sport
I am the new owner of a 92 4dr Explorer 4X4. It has the M5OD out of a 2 door installed now. I guess the guy that put it in for me forgot to tighten the driveshaft bolts to the trans. and while drive down the highway the driveshsaft dropped at the trans. I took the driveshaft out and the flange that connects it to the trans. had busted off. I tried to use the driveshaft off the 2 dr but quickly realized it was smaller. The driveshaft was bent during the process and it will cost more to fix and i need to just buy a used one for now. I need to know what my driveshaft is compatible with. Can i use the rear out of a 2wd? what are my options here? Thanks and i look forward to being a member.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe the drive shaft is longer in a 4 door automatic 2wd than in a 4x4. I have no idea of the length of the drive shaft with a manual since that tranny is smaller in length than an automatic.

First off thank you for your reply. So will a driveshaft from an automatic even fit a manual? Will I have to find another 1st gen. 4x4 manual 4dr to find a donor driveshaft?

The most inexpensive thing to do is measure it and goto your local pull n save wrecking yard and find one. After measuring a few under the rigs you'll get a feel for what you need.

I currently have three first gens in my driveway:

1991 manual trans, 4X4 light offroader
1993 manual trans, 4X4 daily driver
1994 auto trans, for parts then its off to the junkyard

it is 1:00 am but when i wake up tomorrow I will measure the difference between the '94 and the '91 for you. . . .

welcome

Also keep in mind that the 2dr Sport is shorter wheelbase then the 4dr's. I would think that would affect the length of the driveshaft. Also, I haven't messed with mine, but wouldn't the length be different between 4x4 and 2x4? Due to the transfrer case??

Thanks for all the replies.. I have found two different options... The local pick and pull has one explorer and no driveshaft so i am out there. I have a found 2 others. One out of a 2X4 which I dont think will work because o fthe transfer case. My other option is one out of a 4 dr 4X4 but it is an automatic. I have looked around on here and found a couple people that said there should be no problem with any difference between an automatic and a manual but also been told they are different lengths. Please if anyone can let me know if the 1 gen explorer can swap rear driveshafts between manual and automatic. I am down right now and really gotta find me a driveshaft.

I am watching this one. I have a spare set of driveshafts from an automatic, and I have a manual. I have not found any definative answer. I have found that the manual and automatic transmissions are like within 1/2" in length. So common sense would say that they would be the same length.

You may contact Pedstang he is a vendor on the site and he has at least 20 Explorers, so he may have a driveshaft or at least and answer.

Thanks... When i found a list of the lengths for the transmissions i found that there was a 1/2 inch difference. Should that make a significant difference being that this is a bolt on driveshaft? I am a new owner so please forgive any ignorance of the Ford. I have had a silverado my whole life until recently when i bought my 92 x and 88 ranger.

and how do i find this Pedstang?

Still looking for complete clarification on if any other driveshafts will mount up directly in 1st Gen X 4door 4x4. Also looking for if anyone has a spare that will fit for sale.

just use a drifeshaft out of a 4X4 4 door. doesn't matter what trans

Forgot I never posted result. As dan snyder said it did not matter whether it was an auto or manual. I used one out of a 4x4 automatic and it worked just fine. thanks everyone for the replies.

Back