• Register Today It's free!

95 explorer questions

earnbud

Reaction score
City, State
New Port Richey, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
96' Explorer 4X4
Hi guys im still pretty new here , in the process of trying to get an explorer and i found an explorer and i have 3 questions that i hope someone can help me with it

First off im looking at getting a 95' explorer that has 4 wheel drive and it has around 210,000 miles but used on the highway only so figured less strain on the engine, which i know is alot of miles but the guy is selling it cheap , what im wondering is how long could this vehicle possibly last for if i kept maintaining it and changing the oil ect at the right times

Second for the fact that its a 4 wheel drive , if i just kept it in 2 wheel drive and rarely used the 4 wheel drive , would that do anything to the tranny or it wouldnt matter

Last question is , the vehicle has a v6 4.0 liter and wondering gas consumptions on it , the guy told me that it gets 18 to 22 miles to the gallon , and if hes right then great but i wanted to double check

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

18-22 if you don't got a leadfoot. i rarely use 4wd on mine unless i'm off road.
mine's got 227k on the original 4.0l ohv v6, slight lifter tick but that's it!

It will last just about forever if you keep up with the maintenance which can be substantial. [look at the list of posts on this site]
- the 4wd will put more strain on everything but more transfer case than tranny.
- I'm assuming you're talking OHV vs. SOHC on the 4.0. I have one of each and the OHV is way better on gas but that might also have something to do with the "auto" 4wd on the SOHC. The SOHC is a guzzler.

18-22?!? I wish I got that on my '95.

Everyone I know has been getting 14-17.

I am getting 14-17 as well and it runs like a top at almost 300k. Maintain the vehicle and it will serve you well. On a side note I bought mine with a bad trans and had to rebuild it right off the bat, so keep the tranny fluid changed regularly.

18-22 is about what I manage on the 95.

95 has the 2wd option unlike newer models that have live front axles. They get better MPG as a result.

The OHV is a great engine for torque and longevity if you maintain it with common sense and well practiced rituals. Not uncommon to go over 300k with one. They are cheap enough to replace if you do manage to kill it.

Just remember the 95 OHV is OBDI like the 91-94 engines are. The transmissions are OBDII, along with a few other things, making it a OBDI.5

For the most part I have enjoyed the 95, but when I decide on another 2nd gen, I will get a 96+ model for the full OBDII.

My '95's 2wd option still only netted me the lower number. I feel cheated now! :)

Well guys this post has kind of changed in a way , the 95 got sold but i saw another vehicle that i really need opions on

its a 98 explorer 2 wheel drive with 148,000 miles selling it for $600 due to some other body damages but it has the sohc engine and i was told the timing chain can break , what im wondering is for what reason could it and should i just go ahead and replace the timing chain considering the mileage or should i just walk away , its a nice vehicle but the sohc worried me because i heard its a bad engine

And i know in this thread someone said the sohc is a gas guzzler , well how bad is it its a 4.0 L v6 would i be getting around 15 to 16 or worse

Please let me know , because i have to make a decision soon , im mostly worried about the timing chain issue first

I was reading in another post on here , that i guess it might have something to do with the tensioner , can that be fixed or should i just walk away if its a sohc , im worried now as far as what to do because i really need a vehicle soon , not sure if i should just get it and hope things will be ok

Or is there things that could be replaced to make sure theres never an issue

Don't be afraid of the SOHC, it uses a little more gas but it has the performance of a v8[almost] I have one of each and I'd take the SOHC anyday.

But i heard theres an issues about the timing tensioner or the guide breaking off , thats the only thing that really bothers me , i know i can be replaced but im not sure if doing the work myself how much the parts cost , i heard i guess its the front and back guides or tensioners that goes bad

So i want to make sure to get those fixed before i have a problem with it

I'd stick with the OHV due to the simple-ness of a traditional motor.

Well only reason i was even considering this one is due to the fact of him willing to go down in price , but it the tensioner or guide , it is a pain to fix or not to bad , if the parts arent to expensive then i might think about it

Im just really trying to find a vehicle soon because i have no vehicle , not trying to settle with something , but trying to be a little more open to different ideas

Please if someone on here knows , i need to find out how much money it will cost in just parts then i can figure out the labor portion , its a really nice vehicle for the price but i want to make sure nothing goes wrong

Im pretty sure they will go down in price , already have gone down $300 in price

Back