New Stereo Changing from stock to a Dual Stereo System | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Stereo Changing from stock to a Dual Stereo System

cool1998explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Jefferson City, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
I put in my new Dual Stereo system in my 1998 Ford Explorer and everything works on it except the sound. I put the old stock back in it to see if I hooked something up wrong. But, It worked just fine. Can somebody please give me a solution to this problem. I can't play Cd's in my stock radio, because of the laser quit working. The cd player just says CD error when you try to play a CD. So I got a Dual Stereo system, and now I can't even get sound. Please will someone help me I would appreciate it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does your stock radio look like this (not the front- is it a complete cube shape):

nos6cd.JPG

Or thinner behind like this:

21774_1102213619.jpg

what does the face of the flater one look like? id that just the radio with oout the cd?

DUAL isn't known for longevity. It could easily be a bunk unit- even brand new. Also check it for shorts on the speaker output wires, and ensure that both power wires are receiving power. Does the DUAL light up with no sound, or just sit there dead?

No, the flatter one is the older style with a separate amp in the rear of the truck. The 'cube' radio has an onboard amp. If the OP has the flatter one, the remote amp turn on must be wired to power also, or he won't get sound... Both are CD radios...

DUAL isn't known for longevity. It could easily be a bunk unit- even brand new. Also check it for shorts on the speaker output wires, and ensure that both power wires are receiving power. Does the DUAL light up with no sound, or just sit there dead?

It lights up with no sound

Is this on both CD and radio? If it has radio sound, you used the wrong remote turn on wire. VERY easy mistake.

^^^ what he said.

on your harness there will be a black/white wire. this is the harness that plugs onto the factory harness. Ground it!!

I had the same problem, I'd forgot to hook up the amp switch wire.

I installed a DUAL unit also.

Si

Back