• Register Today It's free!

1992 Explorer will not start

ayyno

Reaction score
City, State
Blackwood, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Eddie Bauer
I've done a ton of searching and troubleshooting to no avail.

It has an automatic transmission.

When I turn the key, the fuel pump turns on, and I have full power. When I go to start...I get nothing. I replaced the battery, and I replaced the starter relay/solenoid on the firewall. What else could it be? Could my ignition switch be bad? (My interior lights dim when the key is turned to start.) I'm trying to follow the Red/Light blue wire to make sure that's not the problem...but I can't seem to follow it.

I forgot to mention, that I can "jump" or bypass the solenoid to get the truck started, which is what I have been doing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm just going to wire in a push button start tomorrow(today) since it's 30 degress out and 2:30 am and I've made no progress.

The problem is somewhere between the S terminal on the relay and the ignition switch, whether it be the red/light blue wire, the neutral safety switch, the pink wire, the clutch bypass switch...I DON'T KNOW.

Someone please help me...if you've had the same problem please speak up.

Do you get even a click from it?

Did you check the fuse for it?

Do you have a good ground at the relay/solenoid?

Did you check for voltage between the start terminal and the relay/solenoid case? Should be 12 to 12.45 V

Check for Voltage at output terminal of relay/solenoid.

Is the S terminal connector in good shape (not broken or bent)?

If still no start and the above okay check the neutral switch and the ignition switch.

Hope one of the above help if not then I am out of Ideas.
Never had the problem my self but from past working on cars and a repair manual that’s the best I could come up with. Hope it helps.

i had the same problem with both my 1st gen explorers, for some reason alot of corrosion builds up on the wires and every now and then i had to clean them or shake the **** out of the wires to get it to turn over, for a while when it would happen i would leave a peice of wire under then good so i could just jump the postive terminal to the secondary starter sylinoid instead of going back and forth to the key and under the hood. i still have this problem though but i just pop the hood shake the terminals and its good to go for about 3 months then i just clean them all off again and well do it over and over

Internal wire corrosion is a likely culprit in the 1st gen explorers. Very common. You will have full power to everything except the starter. The corrosion builds up inside the connection at the battery. Easiest way to diagnose is look at the resistance of the wire. It usually occurs inside the positive wire at the battery. The wire will look completely normal on the outside, but be shot inside.

Being I keep mine always painted in protector and cleaned maybe that is why I do not have any trouble with mine.
I do clean it at lest two times a year during other every day work or adjustments then repaint it with a spray on protector. Been doing it this way for years like 30 something and so far never have had to change a cable yet.

When I turn the key, the fuel pump turns on, and I have full power. When I go to start...I get nothing.

That sounds like a bad connection where the cables meet universal clamps, if you have them. Pretty much what JDraper says

I forgot to mention, that I can "jump" or bypass the solenoid to get the truck started, which is what I have been doing.
What exactly does this mean? Jump from where to where?

I apologize for my lack of replies. I put a temporary push start in the truck for now until I can figure out what is going on.

I forgot to mention something that I just realized keeps happening however...whenever I go into reverse, my turn signal/reverse lights/rear defroster fuse blows. Could this be related in anyway to the starting problem from the ignition? Is there something at the transmission or steering column that could have somehow affected both?(Melted/crimped wires, etc...)

you may have just answered your own self as that is were I would look being its the only place I can think of were the two are even linkmen in any way both mechanically and eclectically that would blow a lighting circuit fuse like you just said . Now that is just a best stab in the dark form me nothing more but sounds like the place to take a look at for a short when the column shifter is moved.

The first thing I do whenever I am trying to diagnose a starting problem of this type. Attach a jumper cable from the negative post on the battery to a good engine ground or starter bolt. This is for checking for proper ground.

Sometimes I also will try a jumper cable from the positive post to the large terminal on the solenoid, just to make sure that the problem is not a bad positive lead.

Though.... you are sounding a little like you have a bad ignition switch. (not talking about the lock cylinder)

I have my Haynes manual...and I have all the wiring diagrams...and I am having trouble finding the ignition switch and clutch bypass switch...anyone have any help on finding them? I want to check the wires going into, and out of them. Maybe a loose connection somewhere?

Also, I hear it's on the transmission...but the park/neutral safety switch I am also having trouble finding.
However, can any of them be the cause of the turn signal fuse blowing when I put the truck into reverse?

Thanks for the help gentlemen, keep it coming!

Back