• Register Today It's free!

Is this normal ?

Susanne

Reaction score
City, State
Sweden
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer -97 4.0 Aut
When having the ignition on, in the step before you start the engine, we heard a loud clicking noise from the engines relay box. When i started the engine it stoped. We were looking for a vacuum leak cause my car have the codes : P0171 and P0174. It was surely from the relay box cause we opened it and put the ear next to it and listened. It was a loud clicking noise.

My car has a lot of issues and i wonder if its the PCM relay or something ?.

Explorer 4.0 SOCH -97

In cold weather = RPM 0-2800 (coldstart)
Fuel shows the wrong amount, various from half to empty tank
4X4 lamps goes on and off all the time
Overdrive lamp lits up and never goes out
Engine lamp lits (can be turned of with the OBDII reader)

Well, we filmed it and i was thinking of putting it up on Youtube but my 3gp to avi converter doesnt seem to work, so ill have to fix that also...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you need intake gaskets for lean codes.

Sounds like you need intake gaskets for lean codes.

The Ford dealer said they tested it and it was not the problem. They thought it was the HO2S and wanted a huge ammount of money to fix it. So, the car was not worth the price : over 6000 SKr. Think that would be 894 Dollars..
Anyway, our Ford dealers arent in to American Fords and from the talk with the mechanic it sounded like i was going to pay for those HO2s even if it wasnt the problem..

Vacuum leak ?. I have checked, but i´ll check again.

Any clues would be appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0-dOLB2oqA

(Its hard to hear from the video but when i turn the ignition on, its clicking. Is that supposed to do so?)

The clicking noises your hearing are normal .The engines running rough due to a vacuum leak from someplace you can check with carburetor cleaner .You should use a scanner that monitors fuel trims and you will see a change in the values as the cleaner gets into the gaps. or you will see a change in idle either stalling or racing a few places to look are the intake gaskets (leak mostly when cold) and I have seen the EGR pipe orings or EGR gasket surface.Good luck.

The clicking noises your hearing are normal .The engines running rough due to a vacuum leak from someplace you can check with carburetor cleaner .You should use a scanner that monitors fuel trims and you will see a change in the values as the cleaner gets into the gaps. or you will see a change in idle either stalling or racing a few places to look are the intake gaskets (leak mostly when cold) and I have seen the EGR pipe orings or EGR gasket surface.Good luck.

Thanks :). Just wanted to know what to exclude. Im not used to "newer" cars with all electrical sensors and stuff. (im learning)

Last cold winters the engine was running fine when it got warmed up, but it getting worse and worse, so last time i drove it, it died and i almost run it in to a house wall. I guess, that getting worse and worse means something is leaking. If it had been the HO2S, it probably had been broken from the start and not getting worse and worse...right.

Maybe i can take the car out from the garage and spray it and hope for the best. I bought some break cleaner. Hope that does it !.

The "thingy" , think its called the check valve or something, on the power brake booster, feels a little bit loose, or i can jiggle it a little bit back and forward...thats where the hose is attached and the "thingy" is connected to the booster. Can this be sealed with something or do i need to remove the booster to fix it. I loose the brakes also sometimes when the engine is cold. Just for brief seconds. The level is ok. No leaks. When driving a short period, it stops..then i can brake normal again, without loosing brakes. Or maybe it is beacuse the car been standing in the garage for to long cause i only drive it when i must have it. It can be standing there for 2-3 weeks sometimes.

The options for me is to pay for parts or buy a new low priced car and drive this one to the junkyard. That would be a shame cause its good looking and low milage..:(. Any help is appreciated and i´ll check whatever i can. (its so darn cold here though, so ill have to pick my moments to check).

Thanks !

Back