Ricks Bronco: 1and 1/2 | Page 137 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ricks Bronco: 1and 1/2

BII was 1st car i drove 1989 BII 4x4. hit the gas and not the break. ramped it going about 45mph and hit a ditch. (miss that little monster)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

DSC08864.jpg

Twin stick cover done. Gotta love love those twin sticks knowing what it's hooked up to below.
Also my new drive shaft should be ready for pick-up this evening. They had to order more tube, imagine that, I probably depleted his stock of tubing in the last year ha ha.
Starting to whittle away at my 2011 list of mods to do. Many more to come. Of course I'll punctuate with some trail rides in between work.

BII was 1st car i drove 1989 BII 4x4. hit the gas and not the break. ramped it going about 45mph and hit a ditch. (miss that little monster)

Least your alive to tell about it :thumbsup:

I've rolled two 4x4s myself.

the only car ive ever rolled is a toyota tercel, and that was on purpose. it about time to get that bII on the trail for some real seat time. hows that welded rear treating you? i was thinkin about welding the 7.5 in mine and wheelin on the stock height and 31's for the summer.

the only car ive ever rolled is a toyota tercel, and that was on purpose. it about time to get that bII on the trail for some real seat time. hows that welded rear treating you? i was thinkin about welding the 7.5 in mine and wheelin on the stock height and 31's for the summer.

DSC08896.jpg

Can't agree more with ya :thumbsup:
Just stuck the new drive shaft in a few hours ago and tested it out.
That welded rear will take more then this truck can dish out...think weight. The strength of my/your drive line goes up exponentially as the weight goes off.
I just can't imagine how it will do with the front locker is installed.
That Atlas just puts this truck in another world as far as trails.
Did a few trails today with the rear axle disengaged running in low with only the front axle locked for awhile.
Just so cool wheeling tight turns with no idea that the rear is locked and then couple that with an insane turn radius. Bump the gas and you can literally pivot the rear around the tree while my tubed rear tubed fenders just pivots on the bark.

The locked rear coupled with the Atlas ii, new 35" BF KM2s aired down to 15 pounds has insane traction. Really 15 pounds is still way to much air.
Take a look at the tires and you can see what I mean.

DSC08878.jpg

Once i get one of my friends that can bring another truck I can getg some better shots. That should be in a few days now since the weather is getting better.

DSC08881.jpg

Good traction on the rocks.

DSC08904.jpg

Like the increased approach angle with the taller tires also. Of course locating axle forward might just help also.

DSC08886.jpg

DSC08887.jpg

And helps coming down also. Can't even tell there is only 15 pounds in there. I'll air down way more once I get someone else with me.

I really don't like doing this by myself but had to play a little. Now there was a time I would throw caution to the wind. But time has a way to calm you down.

DSC08911.jpg

Got rear tire stuffed. A little more fender trimming will be done real soon.

DSC08876.jpg

Sorry for posting this pic, but I just can't get enough of this High steer solid axles look.

DSC08884.jpg

Has some problem stopping the beast in low. A little air in the lines don't help. So off comes fender and found that the right side brake line was wet where in screwed into the brake caliper.

One of my future projects may be a square tubed tail gate, coulpled with a tilt down tire carrie. Or no tailgate but just a flip down tire carrier. Of course the 3 point will be don also with more mods up my sleeve.

Totally drool-worthy rookie. I can't imagine where you could NOT go with this rig. :D

Totally drool-worthy rookie. I can't imagine where you could NOT go with this rig. :D

Thanks Sir Q. I really don't care for mud. Been their enough many moons ago in my other 4x4s.
But what I really want to do, is to find someone with a fork lift and raise it on it's side with the tires sitting on a steel beam and find out when it wants to roll. It should get some really good numbers. I've been in this B2 when it had the top and all the other top heavy crap and did lay it over on it's side.

DSC08915-1.jpg

When I did my fuel cell I had to get rid of my spare tire carrier.
The tire used to sit on a bracket that was welded to a cross over brace between the side roll cage. Same piece that the coilovers are attached to.
But I want to design one that sits out over rear bumper in the same attitude that you see hear. The cargo carrier will still be removable. It's just there to support the tire for pic and measurements.
Also this position will make it a whole lot easier to access the rear battery that is below rear bed including breakers.
But more then that I want it be able to pivot down for easy tire removal.
Plus it's just plain un-safe laying in the back.

DSC08917.jpg

Went to my local steel mill and picked one stick of 25' of 1.5x1.5" sq tubing.
Probably won't be enough.
This is the swing out portion that will also have the spare located in the notched area.
I want it leaning back to lower the COG of the tire plus it makes for a stronger unit.
Cool factor plays in also.

DSC08920.jpg

The swing out gate will hinge out on one of the upright pillars that are just tacked in. And then a latch mechanism at the other end.
Those pillars will be gusseted and secured much better then what you see.
Also this whole gate/spart tire carries is mounted on the 2x2" tubed bumper.
Once done this will put the weight of the tire at a much better location regarding weight distribution for trails.

Then I'm going to make a support that attaches to the top of the swing out gate at one end and then angles behind tire and then angle back out to other end. The tire will lean back up against the back support.
Also I'll need to figure out some way to latch the tire in the ride mode so it can't flip backwards.

DSC08923.jpg

Now I'm adding the part that the tire will sit on and hinge up so the tire rests against the back support.
The cargo carrier is just there to support those two hinged pieces that are connected to the bottom portion fo the swing out gate.
At the mitered end of those two pieces I'll have two more pieces that will turn up at a 90 degrees on outside of tire and then angle towards the middle of the rim where I'll have some kind of attachment made to secure tire.
So what I'll have is a tire that I'll be able to flip down putting the outside piece of frame that you can see under the tire once pivoted down which will make it a lot easier to take off and load back on.
Now it will flip down much further once the cargo carrier is removed also.

Then bolt on flat tire and grab end of the hinged piece which now acts as a lever and raise back to original position.
I'll be able to do this with the gate still in place or swung out.
Could have just done the tire carrier with out the swing option, but I want to be able to get to tank, shocks without having to work around that large tire.
At least that's my plan :rolleyes:

I think this short vid will show what I mean.
The way I designed it the hinges carry no load once in the ride mode. All the weight is supported by the bumper.
The L shaped tire carrier that will be connected to the hinged door is almost done. But the latching hardware might be harder to find.

Working on the pillar support brackets now. The pillar with the hinges is gusseted so far with 3/8" flat stock that is 3" wide.

I looked at some on board air compressors that have twin cylinders and some of those quick air down things you screw onto the valve stem. I think their made by smittybuilt. It's just a pain to air down and then back up after driving to gas station.
This toy will see more and more trails as it's starting to get more trail worthy.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v81/honda2nr4life/tire carrier/?action=view&current=MOV08927.mp4

DSC08933.jpg

DSC08930.jpg

DSC08937.jpg

DSC08938.jpg

I'm really digging this mod more and more. Not only does it put the weight at a better location, it frees up the whole bed including the part of the bed that has the battery mounted below bed.
The strap holding the tire is just temporary.

In the last pic I have the back brace connected to the hinge tail gate to keep the tire from pivoting back. In the other pics the tire is leaning against gas tank. Still a lot of work to be done to this mod.

And since this is sprung weight might as well put it on the right side of springs, or should I say behind springs for better traction and ride handling capabilities ;)

any chance the spare could crush your fuel cell in a roll over?

any chance the spare could crush your fuel cell in a roll over?

Hope it never rolls that hard. But I think it would act like a big bumper cushion. Not that it would ever roll like one of those sling shot dragsters but the safest place to be is between those large tires.

And also that fuel sell is 16 gauge metal with steel angle frame around top perimeter. I think that the tailgate itself would also absorb some of the shock.
Good question concerning the safety aspect.
I just came in to check posts and take a break from the monotonous welding involved in this tailgate/tire carrier.

For the latch that keeps the tailgate closed, I'm just going to use a simple hitch pin thing.

On a different note. I see your from Accokek Md. Is that near MIR Racway?
When I raced there it was called "Buds Creek"?

Just added: Now there is also a steel tube that goes around the back of tire that is connected to the tailgate also.

DC you just came up with an addition that I think I'll add to the tailgate part that swings out. Even though the the backside of tire is caged in the tailgate, it would be so simple to give the gas tank and tailgate added protection in case of a roll over of worst kind.
I'll post pics later. But when the tailgate is in the closed position, weld a 90 deg. vertical piece coming off of the tube that wraps around backside of tire that would go straight down to the extreme rear of the truck bed. There is a heavy frame there that goes from side to side. Do not connect this leg but have a flat piece of metal, say around 3x3" that just sets flush with the sheet metal floor that sits over that frame i mentioned. Now when the tailgate pivots around the two added supports swing out with it.
Now the tire which sits flush with the rear tube support will absorb most of the impact if not all. There would be no bending back to damage fuel cell or twisting of the tailgate.

DSC00051.jpg

Added the T-handle to the part that does the lifting. Also primed the bare metal before the rust kicks in.
May just add two more supports to the round tube that goes behind the tire. This I decided to do after DCexplorer asked about the tire possibly pushing into fuel cell on a roll over. There are already to diagonal supports coming down from the tube that you can see. But two going straight down would make the tire carrier into a cage for the fuel cell.
So what I'm going to do is to add a supports that are welded to the horizontal tube that extends back over the fuel cell about 3". The supports will be coming down close to the sides of the cell and extend down to the bed with flat plates that will sit on the bed. There is a frame that runs from side to side under that part of the bed. No bolts, just sit flush with bed. This way it will slide out with the hinged gate.

DSC00052-1.jpg

I have the 3/8" gusset running with the bumper that is welded to the pillars. But added another 90 degrees from that one to really sturdy the pillar. It's that crappy red bracket. I utilized an existing reinforce hole that has the old hatch stud. Just backed out stud, drilled hole thru new metal bracket and reinstalled the existing stud and welded other end to pillar.

That's gotta be one of the most intricate spare tire holders I have ever seen! Wowzers.

Hard to stop adding to it ain't it :D

Well it's getting a little more intricate.

DSC00060.jpg

DSC00061.jpg

Used some standard hook and eye bolts, flat plate and wing nut to secure tire to the pivoting arm.
So far I'm just using a ratchet strap to hold the pivoting arm back to the round tube that runs behind tire. If this was not here it could just pivot back wards when going up a hill :eek:

DSC00058.jpg

Even mounted the Hi jack to the swing out tire gate. I mounted it so it is the same angle as the tire is leaning back, plus this way it don't stick so far up in the air.

DSC00059.jpg

And there you go. No more then $60 in material.
Think of also adding two small little shelfs on the bottom to hold stuff and maybe Jersey can. Still have some minor things left to do on it also.
I can tell it added more weight to the rear axle by the way the locked rear handles going around turns on pavement.

i know u hear it all the time, rookie that thing just gets sweeter.Glad to see your still plugg'n away at her...

Where you been fischerry? I was looking on milk cartons for your pic.

Today I'm making some hardware for the tailgate/tire carrier.
I looked at the latches they have at the hardware store and they seem just too cheap to keep the gate closed while bouncing around. So what I did was to make a L-handle that goes thru where the bolt is now. There is a spring on the backside of the handle that keeps one leg of the L pushed thru the gate and pillar. Then to unlatch all you do is to pull back on the leg against the spring that acts like a handle and swing away.

The spring is mounted in a round collar that is welded to the diagonal support of the gate. Was going to use just a hitch pin, but it be a matter of time before I would lose the little spring loaded clip.
My camera no longer works so now I'm recharging my video camera that will also take some pics. That is if I can find the charger. I think when we bought the new computer the charging wire was thrown away with a pile of wires that was plugged into the power surge bar along with all the wires from the old computer.
Should be back on line posting pics by the week end.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

DSC00056-1.jpg

This old pic will do untill I get a charger. The highlighted area is where the new failsafe handle is now installed.
When lifting or lowering the lever handle the amount of energy is greatly reducedl. Good idea for old farts.

Now to go out and do some testing on hills and rocks to see how flexing effects the mounting points...if the truth be known, I just want to play.

Back