any specifc oil filter for synthetics | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

any specifc oil filter for synthetics

divizio

Reaction score
City, State
Yorkville, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT 4X4 4.0 5spd man
I asked this in another thread, but here goes> Is there a specific oil filter for synthetics and one for petro oils??? I've read here that syns have smaller molecules than petro. So for instance, do we need a denser or less denser filter for this oil to perform at its best??? And why? If its here, I missed it or couldn't find it, or am just lazy... We know 5w is better for cold starts and fast oil up during start up, some chain issues, or heavier oil for some high milage, etc; So is there any simple info on oil to filter matching??
TX divizio

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You aren't trying to filter out the oil molecules - you want to filter the dirt out of the oil. There is no special filter needed for syn oil. You should use a good quality filter regardless of the type of oil.

There is no difference in what filter to use for synthetic oil, but about everyone agrees to using the Motorcraft FL-1A filter.

Because of the longer intervals (10-15k miles, up to one year) between changes with the synthetic oil, the cheap paper filters might fail to work the whole duration of the oil change.
That's why there is a need for better oil filters, with synthetic filtration elements.

Or... you can change only the filter at regular intervals and top off with fresh oil.

As for filters, the Motorcraft ones are "the best bang for the buck". But they are not the "ultimate" filter.
FL-1-A for the 4.0L and FL-820 for the 5.0L.

Thanks for the input, I'll try the motorcraft.

Back