02 Ex Limited 4.6, Possible engine Issue?? Someone pls help? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Ex Limited 4.6, Possible engine Issue?? Someone pls help?

mercer21

Reaction score
City, State
NEWFOUNDLAND CANADA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 EXPLORER LIMITED
I have a 2002 ex limited with the 4.6, no mods to the motor and recently A buddy pulled up next to me on the highway and i was doing 50KMH and jump it right to the floor and she took off but a light started to flash i'n the dash i belive it may of been an oil light and the lights dimmed, and like by time i reached 120 (which only took seconds) there was a bad smell (not like carbon burning) and my buddy said there was black exhaust coming out of the pipes, now no smoke or steem came out of the engine or anything like that and the min i let off the gas it stopped, so anyways i tryed it again just putting the pedal to the floor and that's when it happens is when the RPMs are rather high but again it stops as soon as it slacks now i never do this normally, the only other time i done this is when i bought it a few years ago when i took it for a test drive and nothing like that happened then. A couple things to know is there's no loss of power, unless its at top end, and there's no ticking ( other then the normal ford tick) oil was changed about 10,000 Km ago there's 140,000 km on the motor, and there's no engine lights on normally or any other lights it's only while the throttle is fully open. if there is anything els I'm leaving out post it so i can reply. HOPEFULLY SOMEONE OUT THERE KNIWS WHAT THIS IS OR HAS A SIMILAR PROBLEM.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't mean to be harsh, but folks here would be better able to sort out your question (and respond with help), if you laid it out with complete thoughts, punctuation, and sentence structure.

Just sayin' - it will help you in getting help if people can read it and understand it. :thumbsup:

You changed the oil 10km (6200mi) ago? Yikes. You need to do that every 3k-5k miles (5-8km).

Black smoke could mean running rich..? Not real sure.

You changed the oil 10km (6200mi) ago? Yikes. You need to do that every 3k-5k miles (5-8km).

Black smoke could mean running rich..? Not real sure.

Why change that often? I go like 17-18K mile on mine. Of course I'm running Amsoil, maybe he is too. Besides, even with regular motor oil I go 5-7K anyhow. I loved my Chevy with the Oil Life Monitor system, change the oil when the truck tells you to, regardless of miles.

I do concur that black smoke is too much unburnt fuel though.

Why change that often? I go like 17-18K mile on mine. Of course I'm running Amsoil, maybe he is too. Besides, even with regular motor oil I go 5-7K anyhow. I loved my Chevy with the Oil Life Monitor system, change the oil when the truck tells you to, regardless of miles.

I do concur that black smoke is too much unburnt fuel though.

17k?? That's crazy, and a bad idea for a ton of reasons. Follow what Ford tells you and your motor will last forever: 3k for severe duty (lots of towing or excessive idling) and 5k for typical driving. I could maybe see stretching 5k-7k if you use a fancy synthetic oil and nice filter, even then it'd depend on being changed once dirty.

The explorers/mounties with the message center also monitors oil life, based upon 5k mile intervals. I bet you five bucks the Chevy doesn't do anything but count miles too.

You would lose that bet.

According to the owner's manual and GM mechanics I've talked with, the Chevy has a computer that checks engine revs and temps and it is not based on miles. The manual even goes on to say that under normal driving conditions the light may not come on for 12K miles. The Amsoil I use is rated for 25K miles. I change the filter every 6 months and the oil once a year. I would say dollar for dollar it works out about the same, just less crawling under the truck to change oils, less petroleum used, sort of a win-win situation.

You would lose that bet.

According to the owner's manual and GM mechanics I've talked with, the Chevy has a computer that checks engine revs and temps and it is not based on miles. The manual even goes on to say that under normal driving conditions the light may not come on for 12K miles. The Amsoil I use is rated for 25K miles. I change the filter every 6 months and the oil once a year. I would say dollar for dollar it works out about the same, just less crawling under the truck to change oils, less petroleum used, sort of a win-win situation.

Engine revs and temps will tell you nothing about viscosity loss due to molecular sheering of the oil being squeezed through bearings and such. Monitoring temp might set an alarm at a threshold for something like burn point. If a computer counted revs, that would essentially be the same thing as a mileage prediction (e.g. 5k miles) for an oil change. I'm pretty skeptical to say the least. There is no magic computer that will tell you when your filter is clogged and everything is passing through the bypass valve!

I know that cars like BMWs also go for 7.5k oil changes, but again, that's with synthetic oil. I'm also sure the Ford manuals saying 5k miles for 6qts is a safe and conservative interval, however, 12k-25k is just rediculous in my mind. Funny it comes with the same disclaimer as any other oil: "xxxx miles or 1 year, whichever comes first." What makes you so sure Amsoil is a miracle elixir that lasts twice as long as other synthetics and five times as long as a conventionals? Good luck and have fun.

I'm not going to get into a pi$$ing contest with you about it. I've run Amsoil in all my vehicles for many years. 1993 Chevy Astro, traded in with 215,000 miles on it, nary a tic in the motor, 1999 Jeep Wrangler had 145,000 miles on it when traded, engine sounded like new, 2003 Trailblazer had 129,000 miles on it with no motor issues. It has worked well for me for nearly half a million miles. Do some research on it if you don't believe me. Ever hear of Bob, the oil guy? Google it.

I'm not going to get into a pi$$ing contest with you about it. I've run Amsoil in all my vehicles for many years. 1993 Chevy Astro, traded in with 215,000 miles on it, nary a tic in the motor, 1999 Jeep Wrangler had 145,000 miles on it when traded, engine sounded like new, 2003 Trailblazer had 129,000 miles on it with no motor issues. It has worked well for me for nearly half a million miles. Do some research on it if you don't believe me. Ever hear of Bob, the oil guy? Google it.

I don't mean to start an argument either, I'm just questioning how you're so sure it's safe. "No issues" isn't much evidence of wear and tear vs. cheapo oil on a 3k mile change. It's reassuring that you've read up on motor oil a bit, it sounded like you were doing 25k because that's what the label on the bottle says.

I’m actually changing my oil closer to 17K miles, maybe less now with gas prices climbing through the top of my wallet. I change the filter every 6 months (around 8K miles), add a quart of oil (lost during filter change) and a new filter and go another 6 months.

If you are worried about your warranty:

In 1975, Congress enacted the Magnuson-Moss Act which regulates consumer product warranties. If you read into it, it will show that your warranty remains effective when AMSOIL is used. Also extending oil drain intervals does not void the warranty. Manufacturers will pay or deny claims based on an investigation of failure analysis. To affect the warranty, the oil must be directly responsible for the failure. If they can’t prove the oil caused the problem, the warranty cannot be voided, regardless of brand or length of time in use.

If the oil did cause the problem AMSOIL will pay the cost of repair/replacement of an otherwise mechanically sound engine, to date they have never had to pay out a dime in claims. Another thing, AMSOIL backs its products with action when a customer reports that they’ve been told the warranty is void if they use synthetics. If you hear any business that says using AMSOIL or extending drain intervals will void warranties, send AMSOIL all the details including the name of the business, business owner or manager and the individual making the claims (If you can get them to put it in writing, even better), to the their technical services department, AMSOIL will send them a letter explaining the facts.

There's some serious reading between the info on the AMSOIL site (biased I know), Bob the oil guy's site and other synthetic vs petroleum oil comparison sites. Most of it is way beyond my non college edumacated brain. I've done enough research to comfortably make the decision to use AMSOIL in my engines. As far as it being a magical elixir, well, if your motor is a leaky oil burner, AMSOIL won't fix it, that's for sure.

I just don't see how Amsoil is any better than any other top-shelf synthetic. Just like you said, if you read around on places like Bob the Oil Guy you'll see that plenty of oils last 7k+. I've even seen oil-analysis tests showing that Walmart's SuperTech 5W-20 can hold out until 7000 miles!

As far as warranties and standards go, there's a whole slew of standards that each OEM engine maker lists off for their engines. You'd have to really buy some junk oil to not meet those, as in not API approved and whatnot. OEMs that come designed for long change intervals like BMW and Mercedes have strict standards and only approve some brand of oil to allow their such long intervals.

I'll re-iterate, I'm fairly certain that 3k/5k changes are conservative safe guesses and assume most people will go to a Grease Monkey to change their oil and get regular dino stuff.

Almost all oils I've seen say to follow manufacterer drain intervals, since different engines wear so differently. E.g. the 4.6L V8 will wear oil much differently than a 2.5L I4. The only way to verify you're safe at such a long duration oil change over OEM spec is to get a UOA to show you're still safe.

Back