• Register Today It's free!

Results of my first Trip

deerfarm

Reaction score
City, State
Hickory, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Limited
Took delivery of my Limited 302A, AWD on April 1. Just got back from my first trip. North Carolina to Florida. The entire trip was 1,459 miles. I got 20.6 mpg, which included some running around city streets. I checked it for one tank while driving around 75 mph on the interstate on pretty level roads. My calculations indicated that I achieved 22.0 mpg, the car’s calculation came out to 21.8 mpg. I am fairly pleased with that.

I am very pleased with the SUV. The things I enjoyed to most are:

- Blind spot indicators
- adaptive cruise control
- The available positions of the seat/steering wheel/pedals. I have been driving a full size pick-up and have not found another SUV (including the Edge) where I can get comfortable with respect to closeness to the steering wheel and room to rest my left foot.
- Quietness and solid feel
- The information provided my the screen left of the speedometer, especially the trip odometers
- I have owned more than one Lincoln Navigator in my time and this vehicle is as nice as any of them.

The items that were less than perfect were:

- GPS lost it’s signal for about five miles on the way to Florida. Also, the word GPS with an X through it showed up several times, without me actually losing the signal. On the return trip neither event happened.
- Both of my A pillars vibrated under certain wind conditions. I’m a little nervous about the fix, but have not tried yet.
- My cell phone did not connect on two occasions.
- I have not tried the voice commands very much, but when I did, she had a hard time understanding me.
- The screen shows fingerprints pretty bad and they get disruptive in certain lighting. Cleaning is not a problem. As time goes on, I will not be touching it as much I am sure.
- The SUV takes bumps a little rougher than I expected. It seemed better during my test drive, but I’m sure it wasn’t.
- My passengers noted having to raise their feet a lot to get in and out, but I have not noticed that issue.

Overall, I am very glad I bought it, as long as the dealer takes care of problems without a hassle. I have been driving Toyotas and their service is great.

I hope this info helps someone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its gotta be a little stiff due to the 4X4 capabilities. Don't what your suspension to fall out the back over a big bump off road.

The SUV takes bumps a little rougher than I expected. It seemed better during my test drive, but I’m sure it wasn’t.

Check your tire pressures. Ford recommends 35 cold PSI in the new Explorer at all 4 corners. I'm running at 34 and like the ride.

This time of the year is difficult to modulate tire pressures, because we get such wide temperature swings. 35 degress in the morning, and then 55 by the afternoon. For every 10 degree temp change, tires pressures go up or down 1 PSI (assuming dry air).

The manual says that the voice recognition will improve the more you use. I have found this to be true in my case. It used to not understand me, but now gets it right 9 of 10 times.

Thanks for the impressions. On long drives, did the "arm rests" bother you? I'm slightly concerned that the Ex doesn't use a real arm rest... I feel like I need to have solid, comfortable places for my arms.

Its gotta be a little stiff due to the 4X4 capabilities. Don't what your suspension to fall out the back over a big bump off road.

The suspension doesn't feel rough at all. The suspension is smoother than a feather. You can hardly feel it over the bumps and potholes.

What causes the rough ride is the low profile tires on the Explorer. It's so thin and there's so little cushion so all that force transfers to the car. I'd say go for smaller rims and more sidewall if you want that problem solved.

For the voice recognition, speak a little more firmly. The mic is above on the roof so that's probably why.

I am used to driving a truck, so the arm rests being wide is not a problem. My wife does notice that she cannot find a place to put her arm while driving without leaning over. I guess she can just drive her car! HA!

Tire Pressure

Check your tire pressures. Ford recommends 35 cold PSI in the new Explorer at all 4 corners. I'm running at 34 and like the ride.

This time of the year is difficult to modulate tire pressures, because we get such wide temperature swings. 35 degress in the morning, and then 55 by the afternoon. For every 10 degree temp change, tires pressures go up or down 1 PSI (assuming dry air).

Thanks for the input on the tire pressure. I'll give it a try.

New at this, had it only 3 days. Do the tire pressure sensors give you actual pressures somewhere.

Jack

Thanks for the impressions. On long drives, did the "arm rests" bother you? I'm slightly concerned that the Ex doesn't use a real arm rest... I feel like I need to have solid, comfortable places for my arms.

We drove the new X to North Carolina from New York (13 hours) and the middle "armrest" is great. The center console is very comfortable. I miss being able to rest my left arm on the door though, like I do in our Odyssey. The X is really wide and the door is just a bit further out than I'd like to use it as an armrest. I'm having to find new places for my left arm....but I don't think I'd want to give up the extra space I get for giving this up.

tire sensors

New at this, had it only 3 days. Do the tire pressure sensors give you actual pressures somewhere.

Jack

I was reading the manual about locks and looked at the section on tire sensors. I think the EX is like other cars I have had and only gives an alarm when one of the tires has a pressures lower than the other three. I don't know if the spare is included. I have a Lexus that has five sensors.

Back