• Register Today It's free!

Can an order be changed?

WilsonL

Reaction score
City, State
Laurel, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
11 XLT
I have had so long think about my order, that I would like to change from XLT to Limited. Contacted Dealer who said they would check. In the meantime i received my Vin. Can the order be changed or cancelled and reordered?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been told that once it has a vin you are locked , unless there is a material,or option forcing a hold in giving you a build date. Then you can possibly change the order to release the issue stopping the process.

If you do decide to reorder, the dealer may or may not decide to honor the previous incentives. Just a thought.

I have had so long think about my order, that I would like to change from XLT to Limited. Contacted Dealer who said they would check. In the meantime i received my Vin. Can the order be changed or cancelled and reordered?

If you received your VIN, you may just need to re-order. The dealer, at this point, will most likely need to take delivery regardless. I made a change after my order had been "pulled" (that's the term my dealer used... don't know if there was a VIN yet, but I would guess that there was) and that's what happened. In my case, my dealer was happy to receive an Ex to sell off the lot. All of their Ex inventory up until then (and since then) have been pre-orders.

Seni may be able to help answer this question as well.

There was another post that had a link to details of the Ford order process and statuses. I think what it said was that you cannot change trim levels on an order at any time - you'd need to re-order. However, you can change options/packages up until your status is 'locked', which happens close to the build date. We changed our order as well from XLT to Limited, and the dealer was happy to do it. It's tough having so much time to second guess stuff!

I don't think you can make that severe of a change. At your stage I probably don't think you could change at all. A little earlier in the process (and maybe at your stage) you can change color and interior color, but I think that is about it.

My sales told me that I can change minor options before the "pull" the order, I guess your best bet now is to talk to your dealer like you did already. If they don't re-order for you mind as well just eat that $500 deposit and go order somewhere else. Why buy a 40K car that you don't like

Minor changes when a VIN is assigned are possible depending on the status of the vehicle.. however going from XLT to limited I believe is impossible without reordering. I'm pretty positive that an XLT and a Limited has it's own code in the VIN so once the VIN is created, you wouldn't be able to make a change that would require the VIN to be altered.

About 3-4 weeks after I ordered, I asked my dealer if I could add the rear bumper protector to my order. I figured since it was a dealer installed option, it shouldn't make much difference. However, they said no, it would delay my order. I guess I'll just order it separately...

Back