Adding Homelink Garage Door Opener | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Homelink Garage Door Opener

The Universal Garage Door Opener is programmed a bit differently than the Homelink in that it doesn't get its code from the remote. I had the Universal programmed on the second try with the rolling code garage opener . I screwed up the first. Took a couple of minutes and works great. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can tap the same wires I did for the homelink if you want to manually turn it on and off. I ran a set of wires down to the fuse box and found a ignition operated source and tapped into it there so it comes on when the vehicle starts.

JDraper, how did you run the wire to the fuse box? Did you run it along the top of the windshield, and then down the A pillar? If so, did you remove the cover from the A pillar, or just run it along the window again? Also, do you remember which fuse it was that you tapped?

I was thinking of getting one of these for wiring a radar detector:
Bussmann Add-A-Fuse

Looks like a great install but I am glad mine came with one just in time for changing the garage doors and openers out.

Jack

JDraper, how did you run the wire to the fuse box? Did you run it along the top of the windshield, and then down the A pillar? If so, did you remove the cover from the A pillar, or just run it along the window again? Also, do you remember which fuse it was that you tapped?

I was thinking of getting one of these for wiring a radar detector:
Bussmann Add-A-Fuse

I don't remember what I tapped, but I did pull the A-Pillar trim and ran the wire behind the existing bundle and down into the dash.

Best price that I know of for Ford parts is www.tascaparts.com

Everything that I have gotten for my F150 is normally 30-50% cheaper than my local dealer.

Thanks CNY Xploder. However, this link has no Explorer in the drop down menu for year 2011. Bummer. Unless I'm missing something. Which wouldn't surprise me.

I was searching also. I know you can call and order stuff and I can guarantee they could get the part. They are attached to a dealer and I am just waiting for my XLT to be built to get the visor. Once I do I will post all the part numbers

That website also has things like a Grille like the Limited (paint to match) and Door Mirror cover (paint to match). I know that has come up a couple times.

Has me wondering if I could add a Push Button Start to it......hmmmmmmm....

Having trouble with mine as well - condo door with Stanley Super Receiver. Guess I'll need to call.

Picking the XLT up on Monday...just went to tascaparts.com and the price for the Charcoal visor with homelink is $241.66.

BB5Z7804105CA Charcoal w/ Homelink $241.66 (Same part number for w/ and w/o sunroof)

What I don't know is if there are other headliner colors. Couldn't find them on the website

Picking the XLT up on Monday...just went to tascaparts.com and the price for the Charcoal visor with homelink is $241.66.

BB5Z7804105CA Charcoal w/ Homelink $241.66 (Same part number for w/ and w/o sunroof)

What I don't know is if there are other headliner colors. Couldn't find them on the website
Although I'm not 100% certain, I believe that all 2011 Explorers have the black or charcoal headliners and visors.

Hey Tom!
You need a torx (or whatever Ford uses on their screwheads) - really fairly simple. Two screws on the left side of the visor, undo those - also take off the one screw on the thing( for lack of a better name) that holds the right side of the visor on. By taking off that second piece, it gives you wiggle room inside the headliner. The wiring harness that runs to the visor (at least on mine) had some kind of adhesive on it, so you had to tug it a bit to force it loose. By doing that, it gives you enough slack in the harness to pull it out where you can see it, unclip the connector from your old visor, and reconnect it to the new. It's really fairly easy - takes longer to type it than to do it.

Sorry to dredge this old thread up. I was looking at my XLT and I don't see any accessible screws of any kind on or around the visor. Anyone have a pic of what I'm supposed to be seeing?

Sorry to dredge this old thread up. I was looking at my XLT and I don't see any accessible screws of any kind on or around the visor. Anyone have a pic of what I'm supposed to be seeing?

They are under a plastic trim piece that has a split in it. You need to snap this off and reuse it on the new visor. The screws are underneath it.

I do not have a picture, but look where you visor attaches to the headliner on the left side of the visor.

They are under a plastic trim piece that has a split in it. You need to snap this off and reuse it on the new visor. The screws are underneath it.

I do not have a picture, but look where you visor attaches to the headliner on the left side of the visor.

Thanks. I thought that's might be where it was, but it sure didn't seem to want to come open up very easily and I was afraid of breaking it, only to discover that's not where the screws were after all.

Thanks. I thought that's might be where it was, but it sure didn't seem to want to come open up very easily and I was afraid of breaking it, only to discover that's not where the screws were after all.

The plastic cover snaps off pretty easily, I did the install today, about 30 minutes, works fine. Just getting enough slack in the harness to plug in the new visor was the only hurdle. I caution to make sure you see what the wire routing looks like before you unplug the old visor and then duplicate it. There is a chance of pinching the wire and then getting a short down the road. I paid 199 plus 22 shipping for the visor. Works as advertised. Good luck!

glad this is working out for people - we've had no issues at all with ours!

thanks for the responses! JAZNY - yes, we have the rolling code type opener, and it synced right up - no problem. I'd read on other places as well about transmitters being located in the grill, etc..not true - everything you need is in the visor.

I have a Genie excelerator with intellicode and mine has yet to work.....

I searched and didn't find this - hopefully not a dual post. We just purchased a 2011 XLT - we bought the vehicle at one dealer after testing a Limited at another dealer. We were shocked when we got home and found that the XLT didn't have the garage door opener in the visor. Called the dealer - he told me the option was available only on Limiteds. Thought I might be able to customize the visor to make it work. Got on FordParts.com - found the visor - called my local dealer to see if the visor swap was possible - they said "no", completely different wiring. Well, I ordered the visor anyway. Found out the dealer was completely wrong. The visor with the homelink (or whatever they call it this year) fits EXACTLY into the same plug as they old visor. Took me about 15 minutes to make the swap. The part isn't cheap - about $225 - but it's nice to have the OEM look for the opener - especially since our last 4 vehicles have had this feature. Just a heads up. Thanks.

this is awesome....we were thinking the same thing...that man I spent so much and no homelink system....

many thanks to the OP who took the major leap....

Best price that I know of for Ford parts is www.tascaparts.com

Everything that I have gotten for my F150 is normally 30-50% cheaper than my local dealer.

Thanks to CNY, i found it here and the price is great!

http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=213668

for $199 + shipping $17.94 for me = $217:thumbsup:

This is something I will definitely be picking up. Thanks for the info guys!

Like JustB_Rad mentioned, how can we add push button start/true keyless entry?!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can tap the same wires I did for the homelink if you want to manually turn it on and off. I ran a set of wires down to the fuse box and found a ignition operated source and tapped into it there so it comes on when the vehicle starts.

Hi - A few questions

Do you remember what fuse you used?

How did you insert the wire? Did use an "add a circuit" adaptor?

Where you able to put the fuse box cover back on?

What did you use for the ground?

-------

The wires for the map light are pretty easy to access, so I'm on the fence as to which way to go.

Thx!!

Back