removing and mounting an inside mirror | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

removing and mounting an inside mirror

Commercial grade silicone, Tremco I believe, I'm just going by what my buddy is telling me... when I was in the industry we were using a two part adhesive, kind of reminded me of Zip and the accelerant that you use on remote control airplanes. I think it was called Zip kicker or something like that. Smelled and looked like it anyways.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think I'll try that propane trick at the junkyard a couple of times... Sounds promising- I have a nice Land Rover mirror I'd love to put in the Ex...

OK, the silicone thing was misinformation, I'm not sure if he was just talking out of his a$$ or what, but sorry for the false info. He says that he has seen double sided tape, but I always thought that was a piece of clear vinyl between the button and glass... whatever, use the kit you can buy from NAPA etc, just make sure the button and glass are very clean and you give it time to cure before you hang your mirror. Push it onto the glass, the thinner the glue film the better. Don't push too hard and break the glass mind you, if you have any chips or cracks you can bet that pushing on the inside of the windshield will cost you a new shield. Constant pressure is best.

Again, sorry for the misinformation...

Wood.

Could anyone tell me how to remove the mirror? I have factory auto light mirror, and a spare factory backup mirror from 95 limited. Same wiring harness, and could someone tell me how to get a factory ford cd for 99 eb? Thanks

inspired by Big Country's instructions, i ordered the autolamp/autodim mirror to replace my standard day/night mirror on my '95 xlt

i got the 'ford cd' for the explorer - ran all the wires to the overhead console and waited for the mirror to arrive

it got here - without the wiring harness (that i explicitly said it must have - but they are sending one) - my problem is that the mounting button is already in place on the new mirror

i read the cd about the 'special tool' and how to shove a screwdriver up in the bracket if you don't have the 'special tool' - but i can't get the button off - i removed the sensor and other 2 pieces of plastic - still can't get it off

i made an ad hoc web site with some pictures of the mirror

http://mysite.verizon.net/respkm62/insidemirror/

i'd rather not mount the new mirror with the button already attached because the old button is already cured to the windshield - and i am not sure how long i could hold the mirror if i glue the new mirror to the windshield

i assume the removable sensor is oriented under the bottom of the mounting bracket - is that correct?

thanks for the help

Could you tell me how to remove the inside mirror from the windshield?
Is is required to have a inside mirror by law?
Thanks.

They make a tool...but I've found it worthless and made my own. If you look at your new mirror, you will see how the wedge mount fastens to the mirror and you can go from there. You depress the spring mount and tap the mirror off (gently with a soft hammer) while it's depressed. If you are unsure after looking at it, shoot over to a windshield installation shop and pay them a couple of bucks to remove it for you.

How do you remove the mirror button from the mirror when they fall off the glass?

Back