OEM Hankook Tires, Like or Dislike | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OEM Hankook Tires, Like or Dislike

I don't have my X yet so I can not say either way. I am no sure what you are comparing the ride to because they are 50s so there is not as much sidewall as the 18s. I also looked at the reviews on TireRack after the posts on here and noticed that all the reviews on there were Hyundais or other small cars which could be a car issue. I plan on getting 22s on the X when it comes in so the Hankooks will be winters.
If you are going to invest in tires, why not keep the Hankooks and buy dedicated Winter tires. In my opinion, it doesn't seem to make much sense in keeping what looks like a strictly Summer tire for use in Winter when there have been so many compaints about lack of traction in many of the reviews. One of our members even complained about not being able to get up his slightly inclined driveway. Remember that Winter tires are made of a different compound that keeps it pliable in colder temperatures. "3 season" tires begin to lose traction at 44 degrees. Is that what you really want to be driving on in Colorado in the Winter time? Just my 2 cents worth.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I typically like to use Michelin tires best suited for my vehicles, and thus I was a bit concerned at first with Hankooks on my new X Limited. After a month of ownership I would say that I'm perfectly fine with them. Road noise is low, grip and handling are acceptable. Can't speak of performance on snow and mud.

I'll wait till they run out and replace with Michelins then.

With over 1400 miles on the tires ,we have no complaints at this time.They have preformed well in some light snow and have been fine in all the spring rain.They are as quiet as any tires I have owned in the past,very little road noise.They seem to corner fine.I wish the Pirelli tires on my Mustang were as quiet.As for treadwear,I will have to wait and see.

While I was waiting on my EX to arrive, I saw all the concerns about the tire and explored options. I decided to try them first before I did anything. A week after I picked up my EX (FWD) I drove from Tampa to Canton, Ohio and back, I hit huge downpours, snow in Ohio and dry roads as well. I had no problems from the tire what so ever. Had no slippage or any skidding. After the trip I am fine with tire that they put on, I don't know about longevity but that will work itself out.

I agree, I've had my Ex about 2 weeks. Both in dry and wet conditions, the tires are working well. They are also very quiet with little or no noise from the treads. I'm pleasantly surprised and will keep these tires until they wear out or if any other issue surfaces.

With over 1400 miles on the tires ,we have no complaints at this time.They have preformed well in some light snow and have been fine in all the spring rain.They are as quiet as any tires I have owned in the past,very little road noise.They seem to corner fine.I wish the Pirelli tires on my Mustang were as quiet.As for treadwear,I will have to wait and see.

I agree with several who have posted on this subject. Mine have been fine too. No issues here.

Just got a 2011 Limited with 20s. Not crazy about the Hankook tires. Anyone have an opinion?

Never owned Hankooks before and wouldn't have considered them, but they are quiet and seem fine. Ford wouldn't put junk tires on the Explorer after the bogus fiasco they had with owners driving 10-year old bald tires at high speeds.
I'll likely replace them with Michelins when they wear out.

If you are going to invest in tires, why not keep the Hankooks and buy dedicated Winter tires. In my opinion, it doesn't seem to make much sense in keeping what looks like a strictly Summer tire for use in Winter when there have been so many compaints about lack of traction in many of the reviews. One of our members even complained about not being able to get up his slightly inclined driveway. Remember that Winter tires are made of a different compound that keeps it pliable in colder temperatures. "3 season" tires begin to lose traction at 44 degrees. Is that what you really want to be driving on in Colorado in the Winter time? Just my 2 cents worth.

If I was getting 20's that might be an option but I am going up to 22's to "personalize" our X. I am getting the 4wd model so I am not anticipating problems. I have lived here 15 years and have never needed snow tires. I am going to at least give them a shot. The reviews so many people are talking about on Tire Rack have been on all small cars the closest in size to the X is a Kia Soul. As far as the person on here that couldn't get up his driveway I really can't answer on but my guess is that he would have had problems no many what the tires he had given the bad winter a lot of areas have had.

I'm also considering swapping out the tires. I'm in Minnesota, on a road that frequently doesn't get plowed until much later in the day, and I need something that will handle snow.

Can any of you comment on the Paradas, or update me on your thoughts of the Hankooks, or suggest a tire? I don't think I can swing dedicated winter tires.

Thanks
Justin

It would be nice if someone from Ford officially weighed in on tire selection and choice. Seems that different tires are going on vehicles regionally, but I can't tell for sure.

The reviews on the Hankooks all seem bad.

I was planning on switching out for Pirelli's if and when my Explorer ever shows up...

Hi,
I have Optimos on mine. No complaints here. Just went through a really bad winter with lots of snow. The Ex performed better than my Chev 4x4 in the snow and it had winter tires on it. We'll have to see about the early wear issue. No probs driving in the snow here. However, I'm Canadian and most of us can drive in the snow with baloney skins on for tires. What's that all aboot anyway EH!

I got my Limited with 20 inch rims back in February. I drove it for a week on the Hankook H426 tires and then switched to Yokohama Parada Spec-X . Lots of snow and ice here in Northern Ontario to test it on.

The only reason I went to 20" rims is because I wanted the polished aluminum so I would not have to changes the rims every year for winter so I wanted to make sure I had a good all season tire.

I tried to do a comparison but I found it impossible to relate the two tires. Both got me through snow and ice. Unless you could drive through ice and snow on one day, then change the tires and then drive through the exact same ice and snow with the other tires then you would probably notice a difference.

I 've read people say that the reviews depend on there 4WD management system but I would like to think the tire is at least part of the equation.

I was trying to compare it to my H3 AWD but neither tire came close to the traction and confidence I have with that. But this is probably not a really fair comparison.

I can only assume that the Yokohama Parada Spec-X are a better tire based on professional reviews from people who know how to review tires. I do notice that the Yokohama Parada Spec-X have significantly more tread so I would assume that also makes a difference.

M.J.N.

Just returned from a high-speed run to Greenville, SC from Fairfax, VA. What a pleasure to drive. The tires were smooth and silent. No gripes for me. If they hold up and they are a lot less than Michelins, I may just get another set.
I like this Explorer more each time I drive it.

I'm also considering swapping out the tires. I'm in Minnesota, on a road that frequently doesn't get plowed until much later in the day, and I need something that will handle snow.

Can any of you comment on the Paradas, or update me on your thoughts of the Hankooks, or suggest a tire? I don't think I can swing dedicated winter tires.

Thanks
Justin
Hi Justin. I put the Paradas on the day I picked up the Ex. I find them very quiet and very good in the rain. They also hold the road very well and have a more aggressive tread than the OEMs. No idea about snow/ice performance but they would not equal a dedicated Winter tire. I'm looking at the Yokohama Geolandar I/T G072 for Winter and still trying to get someone to confirm that the base 17" steelies will fit the Limited. Ford service people say that Ford won't release the specs on the wheels so the only way to find out is to try one and see.

I got my Limited with 20 inch rims back in February. I drove it for a week on the Hankook H426 tires and then switched to Yokohama Parada Spec-X . Lots of snow and ice here in Northern Ontario to test it on.

M.J.N.
How did they perform in snow and on ice. I put mine on March 14th and never did get a chance to try Winter conditions. Thinking of getting Yokohama Geolandar I/T G072 tires this Fall but am curious how the Paradas stacked up in Winter conditions.

Hi Justin. I put the Paradas on the day I picked up the Ex. I find them very quiet and very good in the rain. They also hold the road very well and have a more aggressive tread than the OEMs. No idea about snow/ice performance but they would not equal a dedicated Winter tire. I'm looking at the Yokohama Geolandar I/T G072 for Winter and still trying to get someone to confirm that the base 17" steelies will fit the Limited. Ford service people say that Ford won't release the specs on the wheels so the only way to find out is to try one and see.

Thanks for letting me know - I was pretty curious what your (and others) experiences had been. I think if I do decide to swap out the tires, I'll probably go for the paradas.

Hankook Tires

Hey all. I just purchased my Ex a couple days ago and about the only thing I'm not impressed with are the Korean tires on it. I am thinking about putting different tires on it. Has anyone tried this or heard of any reason to not replace these Hankooks?

Hey Wildcat, I'd keep the Hankook tires until they are ready to be replaced. Why spend the money on new tires when your factory tires are new and under warranty?

The Hankook tires are very good. Proper inflation is key.

Ford selected a very wide footprint with a low profile (because this is what the market wants.....18-20 inch wheels). Combined with a 6,000 pound SUV you will have certain issues.

What don't you like, Wildcat? And how is a new/different tire going to solve that?

+1

Hankooks tires are pretty good. Curious to hear what's not liked.

I don't like that I have foreign tires on my new american made vehicle. Nothing against the hankooks that are on it now, but I assume they are a cheap tire, which is why ford decided to put them on.

Goodyear will trade the tires straight up with equivalent goodyears if the tires have less than 500 miles on them. All I have to pay for is the balancing and mounting.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't like that I have foreign tires on my new american made vehicle. .

I hate to break this to you, but half your car is probably made from parts from overseas. That's just how the global economy works nowadays!

Back