Offer me a hug and tell me it'll be OK | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Offer me a hug and tell me it'll be OK

StunnedMonkey

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Wayne, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
Man. I'm 10 weeks waiting for a new EX and the threads the last few days are really bringing me down. Between the guy with the bum transmission after 1000 miles, the guy who practically torque-steered into another lane, all the MFT woes, and the guy with the 6 month update who basically says he wishes he hadn't gotten the EX, I'm starting to dread the day this truck comes in. It's like a $40K mistake happening in slow motion. I mean, I realize that forums attract problems, and maybe issues here aren't representative of the whole. But gee, it's been a downer lately.

Maybe some of you can share your trouble-free experiences and ongoing enthusiasm for your trucks, so I don't blow my own head off the day the dealer calls and tells me my EX is in. I want to be excited. Really.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I don't have a 2011, but I do know that the only way for torque steer to be a problem if you have a lead foot and absolutely POSITIVELY LITERALLY floor it while turning. FWD can't steer AND turn your car at the same exact time and when it tries to, you go straight, a.k.a. torque steer. As long as you know how to turn a corner nicely, you'll be fine with regards with torque steer.

It's like a $40K mistake happening in slow motion.

That is the funniest thing I have heard in a long time!!!

Seriously, I busted out laughing out loud!

I'm waiting for mine which is being built this Saturday and I have no worries. I was planning on buying it but I have considered leasing it instead.

I might be interested in owning an Eco-boost with better gas mileage and I would like a heated steering wheel and some control from an iPhone/smart phone which will be coming in the future.

Man. I'm 10 weeks waiting for a new EX and the threads the last few days are really bringing me down. Between the guy with the bum transmission after 1000 miles, the guy who practically torque-steered into another lane, all the MFT woes, and the guy with the 6 month update who basically says he wishes he hadn't gotten the EX, I'm starting to dread the day this truck comes in. It's like a $40K mistake happening in slow motion. I mean, I realize that forums attract problems, and maybe issues here aren't representative of the whole. But gee, it's been a downer lately.

Maybe some of you can share your trouble-free experiences and ongoing enthusiasm for your trucks, so I don't blow my own head off the day the dealer calls and tells me my EX is in. I want to be excited. Really.
Have had my Limited since March 14th and the only minor problem has been with the Nav being off a couple of times. It reloads and all is well again. No torque steer problem, no noise problems with the open moon roof on the highway and no unusual noises. The moon roof in the tilt position seems to make more of a noise on the highway than with it fully open. I guess if I had to find something to complain about it would be the turn signal operation. For some reason it doesn't seem to operate as nicely as all others that I have had. Not sure exactly how to describe it. It seems a little 'soft' and not well defined, if that makes any sense.

Have had my Limited since March 14th and the only minor problem has been with the Nav being off a couple of times. It reloads and all is well again. No torque steer problem, no noise problems with the open moon roof on the highway and no unusual noises. The moon roof in the tilt position seems to make more of a noise on the highway than with it fully open. I guess if I had to find something to complain about it would be the turn signal operation. For some reason it doesn't seem to operate as nicely as all others that I have had. Not sure exactly how to describe it. It seems a little 'soft' and not well defined, if that makes any sense.

Agreed re: turn signal. During my test drive it was kinda wacky. But I did find a discussion about it over at blueovalnews.com where they said that its a multi-function one where there is a way to have it just flash 3 times for a lane change and then another way to have it on for a turn - some sort of multifunction turn signal thing. I'm going to play around with it when I finally get mine.

I have to admit the forum has been kinda negative this week and it is getting me down a bit - seeing as how my build date is this Friday. But, all will be better once that candy red is sitting in my driveway!

-J

Okay, as for I, the one almost torque steering into the other lane. I love this Explorer so much. Drives so well, handles so well. No body roll like a traditional SUV. When you drive it, it's quiet, I personally do not have the A - Pillar rattle at all (although I only went on the highway to go 90 mph for 400 miles straight once, I heard nothing which I'm relieved about). When I walk out the door and see that beautiful shiny car outside with it's glowing projector headlights (they literally glow), I'm just filled with happiness. With the voice commands, I can keep my hands on the wheel and my eyes on the road. The accuracy is amazing. I can say each number and the system gets it correctly when I want to dial a number. Amazing capability, I went on 14 inches of snow last winter and it plowed through amazingly (I switched to sand mode for more response and power). The TMS is awesome! You can literally put it in sand mode and it'll give you amazing responsiveness at the accelerator. Smooth acceleration, not jerky. Yeah, I can go on forever. Just thinking off the top of my head.

Well, my Explorer is fairly trouble free at about 4k miles. No A-Pillar rattle, no massive torquesteer, no MFT issues (now that I'm on 2.7), no transmission problems, no cooling problems, etc. My phones connect in 5-10 seconds at worst and my nav is fully loaded in under 20 seconds. By the time I start the truck, back out of my parking stall at work, and put it in drive, both my phone and nav are on-line. My MFT works fairly quickly with no repeated taps needed.

I've towed a 5k trailer through the mountains for 300 miles with no problems. I'm getting an average of 20 mpg around town. I've had it in the snow and it drives effortlessly.

The only two problems I have with it now are minor and will be fixed under warranty. I do have moisture in the mirror turn lights, and one line in my rear defroster doesn't work.

Given the opportunity to go back and buy something different, I wouldn't. I'd buy the Explorer again....Absolutely.

I have to admit the forum has been kinda negative this week and it is getting me down a bit - seeing as how my build date is this Friday. But, all will be better once that candy red is sitting in my driveway!

-J
This Friday? Hope you're not superstitious! :D

Yes that's right. We all come on here and ***** and whine. Truth be told, I as well can't get enough driving time in this awesome vehicle. Super quiet now, they fixed my A pillar and wow. I do alot of highway driving and this SUV is like floating on a cloud. Smooth, quiet and an all round pleasure to drive. MFT and Sync are operating wickedly now. Super fast with no lag at all. Nav has never caused me a problem. I have plugged two USB's that are 8gb each so I have 16gb of music at my touch, literally. Just hit the magic button and say play artist U2 or play song blowin in the wind and the music plays on what I have to say is an awesome sound system. Seats are really comfortable, and my teenage son thinks it's the coolest vehicle he has ever seen. Sirius radio is his fav. Love the adaptive cruise control the rear assist, the BLIS and the rain sensing wipers. This is the best vehicle I have ever owned. Cheers.

I lived what you are going through. Some nice guy told me in this forum to not get to uptite. I waited and he was correct. I would not change a thing about my options or the car. Everything is a pleasure. Constant compliments on the design and a pleasure to drive. You bought a great vehicle. Just in case you are wondering this is not my first nice ride and I am used to quality.

OK. I'm feeling better, I guess. Not sure if it's the posts or the 4 bottles of Victory Hop Wallop, but I guess it doesn't really matter. I'm serene for the moment.

One week since I went in the Ford Dealership to look at an XLT...
and drove off with a Silver Ingot XLT and happier with purchase with every new day.
Love the way it looks with black leather interior and 20" polished rims.
Love the way it drives very smooth and quiet (still breaking her in gently).
Everything I expected it to be.

4 weeks, 800 miles or so, still LOVE the Ex, in fact the more I drive it and get used to how it operates the more in Sync (pun intended) I feel with it.

No trans or overheating problems, no wind noise, MFT works fairly well, love the sound system, and ambient lighting is a nice touch that I enjoy more than I thought I would at 45 years old. The thing is gorgeous, and I get lots of unsolicited compliments on how nice it looks. I've felt the torque steer at times, but it's no big deal and does not affect the direction that I steer. Voice commands are a bit buggy, but fantastic when they work right.

Overall I'm totally happy with the Ex, you will enjoy yours too!

I love my X. I researched it for 2 weeks, ordered it and waited 6 for it to be delivered. During that time I read everything I could get my hands on, watched tons of videos and by the time I took delivery of it I knew more about it than the sales guy did. It feels like home to me. A comfortable, luxurious, fun and cool home: ) Felt the torque (didn't know that is what it was until I read it here) a few times but it really didn't bother me. I think it was me learning to drive a different vehicle after driving the same one for 10 years. I haven't felt it since, I think it's helped to imrpove my driving; ) I am in love with this truck so enjoy!

Man it'll be fine !!! there's a reason the ex has been number one selling suv for how many years ... my first gen, is the absolute most reliable, functioning vehicle i have ever been around.
The problem you're seeing is that, this website is all about the problems we have with our vehicles. there are thousands of explorers out there, without problems ... thus why they dont become members of explorerforum.com.
Also, i have visited similar sites for chevy blazers ... jeeps ... dodge trucks ... you name it. Not a single one has the amount of enthusiasts, and lovers of their vehicles as the explorers.
There is so much hype about the new ex... but have faith, ford put in alot of work into these trucks.
It'll be okay !!! hang in there !!!

I mean, I realize that forums attract problems, and maybe issues here aren't representative of the whole. But gee, it's been a downer lately.
My VIN is 60,000 something. Don't know if that means there are at least 60,000 on the road, but if it's anything close, and there are even a couple dozen disaster stories, I'd say it's a pretty good ratio.

I haven't felt any torque steer, but then again, I have 4WD.

I did have to pull fuse 29 to get MFT working right today, but I'm not surprised at that. Other than that, I love the thing after the first 5 days.

I felt the same way as you. My pickup date was today and after reading this board the last few days, I was having serioius second thoughts. I got into my new ex today totally expecting major issues. Truth is, everything was perfect. The ride is smooth and quiet, mft fast and trouble free, phone worked great. I couldn't be happier for now. I brought it home tonight and half the neighborhood came over to check it out. Very happy with my purchase so far.

Have some MFT/Sync issues? Yup
Hear A-pillar noise? Couple of times
Experienced torque steer? Uh huh
Still love my X? Absolutely! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Let me say again:

1) This is my 4th Explorer
2003 over 70,000 miles
2005 over 70,000 miles
2007 over 120,000 miles

2) My 2011 Limited was an early build

3) Have over 10,000 miles now since mid February

4) Best Explorer, and best new vehicle I've ever owned (excluding my Porsches!:))

Back